Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Most common version of UNIX on production systems Post 302091898 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 5th of October 2006 05:06:36 PM
Old 10-05-2006
We have 180+ UNIX boxes, >140 of them are Linux. We have a few Solaris 2.9 boxes.
What you should teach (aside from admin tools which differ a lot) is POSIX stuff as much as possible - POSIX C, scripting, etc. Wherever your platform deviates significantly from the norm you need to let students know what the norm (POSIX or XSI) is. And, the common shells on production boxes are Bourne, Bourne-again (bash), csh, ksh, then tcsh. (Steven's Advanced Unix Programming 2ed p 3).

However, consider teaching either Bourne or bash, not csh or tenex csh because those are so, um, "tricky", that platforms like FreeBSD and Darwin that have tcsh as their default shell, use Bourne for system scripts. Solaris comes default with all of the shells.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

music production, unix

okay, so i'm using windows right now because i produce electronic music and all my software is written for windows. i want to get rid of microsoft's os, so i'm wondering if there is an easy way to run these windows programs on a unix system. maybe a windows emulator for x-windows or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dominant Unix in production?

What's the dominant Unix in production environment? Solaris or Linux? HP-UX and AIX have never been "dominant", while HP-UX is widely used in financial circles... Is Linux reallly where it's all going for major production environments running Oracle/SAP/whatever or will Solaris remain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etc
1 Replies

3. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To delete the common parts (version and suffix) to get the package name

I have lots of package version +suffix full name, but I just want to get the package name, which means delete the common parts eg: dtc-1.3.0+gitAUTOINC+033089f29099bdfd5c2d6986cdb9fd07b16cfde0-r4.1.x86_64.rpm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Regarding firmware and kernel version of HP-UX systems.

Dear All, Please help to find out the patch and firmware versions in HP-UX systems. as uname -r is showing os version and uname -a HP-UX xxxxxx B.11.23 U 9000/800 2781427196 unlimited-user license. Kindly help to find out the existing Kernel and firmware versions. Also I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)