Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need a hand. Please?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a hand. Please? Post 302090602 by Corona688 on Tuesday 26th of September 2006 04:59:17 PM
Old 09-26-2006
Tabular, as in, all on one enormous line?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Lets give Neo a hand.

Neo, Just wanted to let you know that we all appricate the hardwork that you and your team put in to make this forum what it is. I have been a member since 05-23-2001 and i can honestly say this is one forum that is deffinetly a main stay and a true benifit to everyone that uses it. Mike... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK how to strip from right hand side

guys, i am writing a .ksh file to ssh to a remote machine and change all occurances of .ixf to .WIP like this : -->>> for i in *.ixf do echo $i done mv $i $i.WIP exit <<--- --> this returns .ixf.WIP - i can live with that. then i need to sftp from another remote machine, copy the files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelolamberti
5 Replies

5. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s

I have now used FreeBSD from eh, 5.0??? But during that whole time I have never used xwindows or kde. My box's have always been servers of one type or another. I just set up a new BSD machine(8.0), and because I wanted to install boinc I knew that I would have to also install xwindows. Just the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

PI calculated by hand. If this doesn't blow your mind nothing will.

This came to my attention very recently... I have put it here as a fun item not related to UNIX in any way... Chudnovsky algorithm - Wikipedia WOW! And a great, light hearted 16 minute video about it: Calculating π by hand: the Chudnovsky algorithm - YouTube Enjoy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)