Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Track user activity --pls help Post 302090014 by nathan on Friday 22nd of September 2006 03:15:07 AM
Old 09-22-2006
Anand,

Isn't this the same question you asked in this thread?

I think that's against rule #4.

Quote:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

audit user activity - possible?

Hi, I have been asked if it is possible to track the last time a specific user logged in to the sysetm. checked my documentation but can't see it there - google is not being very helpful either. I wonder if someone here can help - it will be much appreciated. Thanks Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to track FTP user last login? Last and Finger don't track them.

Like the topic says, does anyone know if it is possible to check to see when an FTP only user has logged in? Because the shell is /bin/false and they are only using FTP to access the system doing a "finger" or "last" it says they have never logged in. Is there a way to see when ftp users log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep track of every user

dear all , I m new to shell programming and I need your help. Actually i want to keep track of all the commands executed in a bash prompt of users , very much in same manner as it is displayed when we run "history" command. now the users are smart enough as they delete their history by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xander
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SVN activity of certain user

Hi there, I'm looking for some help to get a little script done that shows me (or counts) only the added lines from an SVN repository of one specific user. Anybody has an idea? Thanks, Michael (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelGiese
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track user commands

Hi, I have a unix server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about firing or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Track user

Hi, i suddenly realized that a directory is deleted unfortunately there are many user have pervilages on this directory is there a way to track the user who delete this directory or atleast from now can i enable something so that i can track from now I think there is way from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackgeek
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Track user log!

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to measure the density of users that are logged on system. The program should check that every 30... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: petel1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Audit user activity

Need some help in coming up to log all the activity that is used with our common "unix account". Ideally I am looking for to log the activity in a "separate" file for each session or login until the user logout, I would like to capture the date/time and terminal login and record all the ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajmanna
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to track user activity?

Hi All Please can you help me with the following issue: A certain vendor installed an application in which for a user to log in; the user must use a user created/predefined by the application. And because this application has more than one user its difficult to track who did what and when,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track activity of a user

Hi All We have a job which writes files to a server at a particular time. The files will be created by a particular user ID Today, during the execution of the job, it created a file to the server and the file sat on the server for sometime, but was deleted immediately at the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies
PCAP-TSTAMP(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					    PCAP-TSTAMP(7)

NAME
pcap-tstamp - packet time stamps in libpcap DESCRIPTION
When capturing traffic, each packet is given a time stamp representing, for incoming packets, the arrival time of the packet and, for out- going packets, the transmission time of the packet. This time is an approximation of the arrival or transmission time. If it is supplied by the operating system running on the host on which the capture is being done, there are several reasons why it might not precisely repre- sent the arrival or transmission time: if the time stamp is applied to the packet when the networking stack receives the packet, the networking stack might not see the packet until an interrupt is delivered for the packet or a timer event causes the networking device driver to poll for packets, and the time stamp might not be applied until the packet has had some processing done by other code in the networking stack, so there might be a significant delay between the time when the last bit of the packet is received by the capture device and when the net- working stack time-stamps the packet; the timer used to generate the time stamps might have low resolution, for example, it might be a timer updated once per host operat- ing system timer tick, with the host operating system timer ticking once every few milliseconds; a high-resolution timer might use a counter that runs at a rate dependent on the processor clock speed, and that clock speed might be adjusted upwards or downwards over time and the timer might not be able to compensate for all those adjustments; the host operating system's clock might be adjusted over time to match a time standard to which the host is being synchronized, which might be done by temporarily slowing down or speeding up the clock or by making a single adjustment; different CPU cores on a multi-core or multi-processor system might be running at different speeds, or might not have time counters all synchronized, so packets time-stamped by different cores might not have consistent time stamps. In addition, packets time-stamped by different cores might be time-stamped in one order and added to the queue of packets for libpcap to read in another order, so time stamps might not be monotonically increasing. Some capture devices on some platforms can provide time stamps for packets; those time stamps are usually high-resolution time stamps, and are usually applied to the packet when the first or last bit of the packet arrives, and are thus more accurate than time stamps provided by the host operating system. Those time stamps might not, however, be synchronized with the host operating system's clock, so that, for example, the time stamp of a packet might not correspond to the time stamp of an event on the host triggered by the arrival of that packet. Depending on the capture device and the software on the host, libpcap might allow different types of time stamp to be used. The pcap_list_tstamp_types(3PCAP) routine provides, for a packet capture handle created by pcap_create(3PCAP) but not yet activated by pcap_activate(3PCAP), a list of time stamp types supported by the capture device for that handle. The list might be empty, in which case no choice of time stamp type is offered for that capture device. If the list is not empty, the pcap_set_tstamp_type(3PCAP) routine can be used after a pcap_create() call and before a pcap_activate() call to specify the type of time stamp to be used on the device. The time stamp types are listed here; the first value is the #define to use in code, the second value is the value returned by pcap_tstamp_type_val_to_name() and accepted by pcap_tstamp_name_to_val(). PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST - host Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. The precision of this time stamp is unspecified; it might or might not be synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_LOWPREC - host_lowprec Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. This is a low-precision time stamp, synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_HIPREC - host_hiprec Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp; it might or might not be synchronized with the host operating system's clock. It might be more expensive to fetch than PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_LOWPREC. PCAP_TSTAMP_ADAPTER - adapter Time stamp provided by the network adapter on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp, synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_ADAPTER_UNSYNCED - adapter_unsynced Time stamp provided by the network adapter on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp; it is not synchronized with the host operating system's clock. SEE ALSO
pcap_set_tstamp_type(3PCAP), pcap_list_tstamp_types(3PCAP), pcap_tstamp_type_val_to_name(3PCAP), pcap_tstamp_name_to_val(3PCAP) 22 August 2010 PCAP-TSTAMP(7)