Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Runlevel(s)
Operating Systems Linux Runlevel(s) Post 302088937 by BOFH on Friday 15th of September 2006 08:00:12 AM
Old 09-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Jimmy
Yes, it did help. Thanks! Smilie
You type init (number) to change runlevel?
Yep. I think I mostly use init 5 on my sun boxes. Oh and init 6 is reboot Smilie

Carl

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runlevel in Freebsd?

Hello, Is there any runlevels in freebsd? Like in linux or solaris? Thanks -I (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Insomniac
2 Replies

2. Linux

runlevel from cmdline or lilo?

Hi, Is it possible to specify runlevel from bootloader command line? I would like to override settings from /etc/inittab without changing it. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odys
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple runlevel options at Bootup

Is it possible to give multiple runlevel options during boot up.. When the Welcome screen appears, i want to give multiple runlevel options.. So the user can boot into any desired runlevel he wants.. Found this kinda interesting.. Any hints and solutions please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikumar_cs
2 Replies

4. SuSE

New runlevel service

Ok, I am attempting to add a new program to startup during the runlevel 3. I am using Suse 10. I made a script lets call it foostart and placed it in /etc/init.d. It has 777 permissions on the script. I then created a link ln -s /etc/init.d/foostart /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99foostart But during... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
9 Replies

5. Red Hat

Running a script in runlevel 1

hi all i have to run a script in run level 1 automatically i.e when i give init 1 from runlevel 3 that script should run after entering into runlevel 1. where can i put that script so that it will run as i said above..??? something similar to rc.local but this will run in runlevel 3(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_md
1 Replies

6. Solaris

runlevel issue

hi all i am using solaris 10 with run level 3.(Graphical Interface). I am a beginner to solaris so that i just want to do some R&D with my machine. I decided to boot into the command line interface, so i go througth the internet and find that the following command should be given to boot into the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingston
8 Replies

7. Programming

Problem in determining runlevel through a C program

Hi, I am trying with the following code to retrieve the runlevel of my Linux Ubuntu 8.04 system by reading the "utmp" database. But I am getting blank output. May I know what correction I should do inorder to make this program to work? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies
telinit(8)						      System Manager's Manual							telinit(8)

NAME
telinit - change system runlevel SYNOPSIS
telinit [OPTION]... RUNLEVEL DESCRIPTION
telinit may be used to change the system runlevel. The RUNLEVEL argument should be one of the multi-user runlevels 2-5, 0 to halt the system, 6 to reboot the system or 1 to bring the system down into single-user mode. Normally you would use the shutdown(8) tool to halt or reboot the system, or to bring it down to single-user mode. RUNLEVEL may also be S or s which will place the system directly into single-user mode without actually stopping processes first, you prob- ably won't want that. The runlevel is changed by emitting the runlevel(7) event, which includes the new runlevel in the RUNLEVEL environment variable as well as the previous runlevel (obtained from the environment or from /var/run/utmp) in the PREVLEVEL variable. telinit will write the new runlevel to /var/run/utmp and append a new entry to /var/log/wtmp. Other commands telinit may be also used to send basic commands to the init(8) daemon for compatibility with System V. These are: Q or q to request that init(8) reload its configuration. This is rarely necessary since Upstart watches its configuration with inotify(7) and is deprecated by the initctl(8) reload-configuration command. U or u to request that the init(8) daemon re-execute itself. This is not recommended since Upstart is currently unable to preserve its state, but is necessary when upgrading system libraries. OPTIONS
-e KEY=VALUE This specifies an additional environment variable to be included in the event along with RUNLEVEL and PREVLEVEL. ENVIRONMENT
RUNLEVEL telinit will read the current runlevel from this environment variable if set in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp FILES
/var/run/utmp Where the current runlevel will be read from; this file will also be updated with the new runlevel. /var/log/wtmp A new runlevel record will be appended to this file for the new runlevel. NOTES
The Upstart init(8) daemon does not keep track of runlevels itself, instead they are implemented entirely by its userspace tools. See runlevel(7) for more details. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) initctl(8) shutdown(8) runlevel(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 telinit(8)