Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting IP's from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting IP's from a file Post 302085616 by DukeNuke2 on Friday 18th of August 2006 11:51:49 AM
Old 08-18-2006
cut -f2 -d [ filename | cut -f1 -d ] > new_filename

this works also... and without the "cat"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Splitting file] Extracting group of segments from one file to others

Hi there, I need to split one huge file into separate files if the condition is fulfilled according to that the position between 97 and 98 matches with “IT” at the segment MAS. There is no delimiter file is fix-width with varous line length. Could you please help me how I do split the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ozgurgul
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from file

Hi I have the file in following format Begining of file --------------------------------------- my name some dfgfgfk jdksjdkls laladsl sdlsdls . . . kfdjkfdk some drt pro vhdl sdjls. ---------------------------------------------------------------- ddr.spw.df.df 0 0 0 0 0 ddr.ser.ddf.tp... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hack_tom
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from text file based on configuration set in config file

Hi , a:) i have configuration file with pattren <Range start no>,<Range end no>,<type of records to be extracted from the data file>,<name of the file to store output> eg: myfile.confg 9899000000,9899999999,DATA,b.dat 9899000000,9899999999,SMS,a.dat b:) Stucture of my data file is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suparnbector
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file, yaml file? Extracting specific sections

Here is a data file, which I believe is in YAML. I am trying to retrieve just the 'addon_domains" section, which doesnt seem to be as easy as I had originally thought. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!! I have been trying to do this in awk and mostly bash scripting instead of perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns using pattern file from source file

Hi experts,Please help me for the below requirement. i have a source file.(lets say contains 50 columns). I am extarcting five columns from the source file by using pattern file. for example input file:--------a,b,c,d,"a,g","v b",s,koutputfile=======a,"a,g","v b",s,kThanks in advance subhendu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a column from a file and merging with other file using awk

Hi All: I have following files: File 1: <header> text... text .. text .. text .. <\header> x y z ... File 2: <header> text... text .. text .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn006
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file extracting information writing to a file

Hi I am trying to extract information out of a file but keep getting grep cant open errors the code is below: #bash #extract orders with blank address details # # obtain the current date # set today to the current date ccyymmdd format today=`date +%c%m%d | cut -c24-31` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting line1 from a file with certain file pattern in line 7

Hello there, I am new to unix and would like to do the following, hoping someone would give some guide, thanks in advance. Lets say i have a file like this: A w x y w x 0.1 B w x y w x 0.3 C w x y w x 0.7 D w x y w x 0.9 E w x y w x 0.2 So i would like to extract line 1 data where line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from one file, based on another file (splitting)

Dear All, I have two files but want to extract data from one based on another... can you please help me file 1 David Tom Ellen and file 2 David|0010|testnamez|resultsz David|0004|testnamex|resultsx Tom|0010|testnamez|resultsz Tom|0004|testnamex|resultsx Ellen|0010|testnamez|resultsz... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
12 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)