Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help Needed for READ command..... Post 302084933 by rahul26 on Monday 14th of August 2006 08:41:02 AM
Old 08-14-2006
CPU & Memory help Needed for READ command.....

Hi UNIX BONDS,
My requirement is that i want to use READ as
while read a x y z
do
some logic
done < dummy_file.txt

But the requirement is that the number of columns in the file dummy_file.txt is not fixed.
So "while read a x y z" may work fine if there are four columns, but how do i decalre variables when the columns may keep on varying.

Basically i dont want to hard code the number of columns as done above...

Thanx in advance......
Regards,
rahul26 Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in ls command

Hi all, i need to write an ls command which will pick up ind_01.txt/pak_01.txt from ind_01.txt pak_01.txt usa_01.txt files in a directory.. i wrote a ls command by storing ind and pak in 2 variables and listing it. Its working fine. But the pattern to be matched should be sent in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anju
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with find command

Hi Guys, Can someone help with this. I have to find out a file name which calls the following sql script "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". In other words it contains a pattern like "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". I have found out using "find" command that the file abhishek_to_sdw.sql is existing on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED and Read Help Needed

Not sure why my sed script is not working..need extra eyes..Any help would be aprreciated. I want to add this line into the 1rst line of the $EJECT FILE sed '/">>>>>>>>>>>>> TAPES TO BE EJECTED /a\<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"'> $EJECT This is the error message I get: + sed /">>>>>>>>>>>>> TAPES TO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT: Script/Function needed to read text property files in block wise

Hi, Iam in a need for a script/function in KSH where I want to read a text file (property file) in block by block. Here is the example: Heading Name Descripton Block Block1 Value1 Description Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysreenivas
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Needed to Read a text from a list files

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. I need this script as I m planning to put this for a system health check. Please assist me. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dd command help needed.

Hi I m creating a file which will serve as a virtual harddisk . I m using following command to create a file. #dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/Sample.dat bs=1M count=1024 I have following doubts regarding the operation. 1) In above example i m creating a file with byte size of 1M .However in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed shell script to read txt file and do some modification

Hi ...programmers... I need a shell script to perform some specific task.. my txt file looks like this netcdf new { dimensions: XAX1_11 = 11 ; variables: double XAX1_11(XAX1_11) ; XAX1_11:point_spacing = "even" ; XAX1_11:axis = "X" ; float DEPTH(XAX1_11) ;... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command needed

Hi, I have the date as 20130101 and i need it to rephrased to 2013-01-01. Any command which can do this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
5 Replies
SET 
TRANSACTION(7) SQL Commands SET TRANSACTION(7) NAME
SET TRANSACTION - set the characteristics of the current transaction SYNOPSIS
SET TRANSACTION transaction_mode [, ...] SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION transaction_mode [, ...] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY DESCRIPTION
The SET TRANSACTION command sets the characteristics of the current transaction. It has no effect on any subsequent transactions. SET SES- SION CHARACTERISTICS sets the default transaction characteristics for subsequent transactions of a session. These defaults can be overrid- den by SET TRANSACTION for an individual transaction. The available transaction characteristics are the transaction isolation level and the transaction access mode (read/write or read-only). The isolation level of a transaction determines what data the transaction can see when other transactions are running concurrently: READ COMMITTED A statement can only see rows committed before it began. This is the default. SERIALIZABLE All statements of the current transaction can only see rows committed before the first query or data-modification statement was exe- cuted in this transaction. The SQL standard defines two additional levels, READ UNCOMMITTED and REPEATABLE READ. In PostgreSQL READ UNCOMMITTED is treated as READ COMMITTED, while REPEATABLE READ is treated as SERIALIZABLE. The transaction isolation level cannot be changed after the first query or data-modification statement (SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, FETCH, or COPY) of a transaction has been executed. See in the documentation for more information about transaction isolation and concur- rency control. The transaction access mode determines whether the transaction is read/write or read-only. Read/write is the default. When a transaction is read-only, the following SQL commands are disallowed: INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, and COPY FROM if the table they would write to is not a tem- porary table; all CREATE, ALTER, and DROP commands; COMMENT, GRANT, REVOKE, TRUNCATE; and EXPLAIN ANALYZE and EXECUTE if the command they would execute is among those listed. This is a high-level notion of read-only that does not prevent all writes to disk. NOTES
If SET TRANSACTION is executed without a prior START TRANSACTION or BEGIN, it will appear to have no effect, since the transaction will immediately end. It is possible to dispense with SET TRANSACTION by instead specifying the desired transaction_modes in BEGIN or START TRANSACTION. The session default transaction modes can also be set by setting the configuration parameters default_transaction_isolation and default_transaction_read_only. (In fact SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS is just a verbose equivalent for setting these variables with SET.) This means the defaults can be set in the configuration file, via ALTER DATABASE, etc. Consult in the documentation for more information. COMPATIBILITY
Both commands are defined in the SQL standard. SERIALIZABLE is the default transaction isolation level in the standard. In PostgreSQL the default is ordinarily READ COMMITTED, but you can change it as mentioned above. Because of lack of predicate locking, the SERIALIZABLE level is not truly serializable. See in the documentation for details. In the SQL standard, there is one other transaction characteristic that can be set with these commands: the size of the diagnostics area. This concept is specific to embedded SQL, and therefore is not implemented in the PostgreSQL server. The SQL standard requires commas between successive transaction_modes, but for historical reasons PostgreSQL allows the commas to be omit- ted. SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 SET TRANSACTION(7)