Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail questions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sendmail questions Post 302082393 by chrchcol on Tuesday 1st of August 2006 11:23:06 PM
Old 08-02-2006
What is happening is its sending out the mail still as root!

Chris

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Three Questions

I just want to know Three questions: 1.what is the name of c++ compiler used in Linux/Unix (like gcc compiler used for c ).And please tell me how can i compile the program of c++. 2. I have Devloped a program of Database in C Under Linux/Unix Enviornment and now i want to add some graphics... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: at_renai2001
4 Replies

2. Solaris

2 Questions

Hello Everbody I hope you can give me a hand, I have some questions The first one itīs about some message that I donīt know what means, I was looking about it. but nothing. This is the message rsh: connection from bad port bsd-gw: Error reading from connection: Bad file number And my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

few questions

hi , i have got few questions 1) i created a file "-myfile" .how can i remove this?what command shud i issue 2) i used echo "TODAYS DATE" ; DATE..........but date is comoing in second line..how can i make it come in single line? 3) how can i list all files in a directory using for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SENDMAIL questions...

How can I know the version of the SENDMAIL currently being used by our system? The particular point of interest is the &REPLYTO parameter. Any information or knowledge on use of the REPLYTO parameter would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get some help with some questions

How would you change the IP address using the command line? How would you make the new IP address persistent after a reboot? How do you find the default route of your host? Your /var file system is full. How do you find the files and directories that consume most of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: d3coy
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
sendmail(4)							   File Formats 						       sendmail(4)

NAME
sendmail, sendmail.cf, submit.cf - sendmail configuration files SYNOPSIS
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf DESCRIPTION
The sendmail.cf and submit.cf files are the configuration files for sendmail(1M). Starting with version 8.12 of sendmail, which was shipped with version 9 of the Solaris operating system, two configuration files are used for submission and transmission of mail, instead of only sendmail.cf, as before. These are: sendmail.cf Remains the principal sendmail configuration file. Used for the Mail Transmission Agent (MTA). submit.cf Used for the Mail Submission Program (MSP). The MSP is used to submit mail messages. Unlike the MTA, it does not run as an SMTP daemon. The MSP does not require root privileges, thus the two-file model provides better security than the pre-sendmail 8.12 model, in which the MSP ran as a daemon and required root privileges. In the default sendmail configuration, sendmail uses submit.cf, as indicated in ps(1) output. In ps output, you will observe two sendmail invocations, such as the ones below: /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m The first indicates the use of submit.cf, with the client queue (/var/spool/clientmqueue) being checked--and, if needed, flushed--every 15 minutes. The second invocation runs sendmail as a daemon, waiting for incoming SMTP connections. As shipped, sendmail.cf and, in particular, submit.cf, are appropriate for most environments. Where a knowledgeable system administrator needs to make a change, he should use the following procedures. For sendmail.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the sendmail file for your system. # cp sendmail.mc `hostname`.mc 3. Edit `hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make `hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp `hostname`.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf 6. Restart the sendmail service. # svcadm restart sendmail You must restart sendmail for sendmail.cf file changes to take effect, as indicated in step 6. Steps 4 - 6 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. For submit.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the submit file for your system. # cp submit.mc submit-`hostname`.mc 3. Edit submit-`hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make submit-`hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp submit-`hostname`.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf You do not need to restart sendmail for changes to submit.cf to take effect. Steps 4 and 5 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. Enabling Access to Remote Clients The sendmail(1M) man page describes how the config/local_only property can be set to true or false to disallow or allow, respectively, access to remote clients for unmodified systems. Setting values for the following properties for the service instance svc:/network/smtp:sendmail results in automated (re)building of con- figuration files: path_to_sendmail_mc path_to_submit_mc The values for these properties should be strings which represent the path name of the .mc files referred to in steps 2 and 3 of both pro- cedures above. Recommended values are: /etc/mail/cf/cf/`hostname`.mc /etc/mail/cf/cf/submit-`hostname`.mc Each property, if set, results in the corresponding .mc file being used to (re)build the matching .cf file when the service is started. These properties persist across upgrades and patches. To prevent a patch or upgrade from clobbering your .cf file, or renaming it to .cf.old, you can set the desired properties instead. FILES
/etc/mail/cf/README Describes sendmail configuration files. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), ps(1), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Network Services SunOS 5.11 8 May 2008 sendmail(4)