Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bandwidth monitoring
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Bandwidth monitoring Post 302080434 by Hitori on Tuesday 18th of July 2006 01:34:46 PM
Old 07-18-2006
The best way is to use pcap library and write small programm (look at http://www.tcpdump.org/pcap.htm) that monitors all packets which have HTTP header with url of the target site (you can skip parsing all protocols, just look into packet's header for url of the site). But this will not work for SSL Smilie

Also try tc (traffic control from iproute2 package). I dont know whether this is appropriate for you but with tc you can create different filters (e.g. according to IP adresses, TCP ports, etc.) and get statistics for that filters, i.e. something similar to

$ tc -s qdisc
qdisc htb 1: dev eth0 r2q 10 default 1 direct_packets_stat 0
Sent 21655 bytes 62 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

A realize that all approaches above are very 'low-level', then just search on sf.net Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bandwidth check?

I'm on T1, is there any way i can check my acctual bandwidth? Thank you all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Bandwidth Caping With PF

i have two questions actually... i need to block certain ports with openbsd and PF in a large lan, the firewall is supposed to be a router between the internet and the first lan switch. first of all, would this work at all in theory? second, i tried doing this a few days ago at a huge lan but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocturnal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Bandwidth Monitoring

What are my options for monitoring bandwidth on a per user basis? Ideally, I'd like something thats easy to configure (like a webmin module pleeeease?), and that could monitor ALL bandwidth. Not just web bandwidth but also ftp/afp uploading and downloading, and email traffic. I know this is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AFP & FTP Bandwidth Monitoring?

Is there a way to monitor FTP and AFP bandwidth on a per user basis? AFP = AppleFilesharingProtocol, and by monitor, I don't mean graphs, I mean getting raw byte counts I can use in my scripts any way I choose. I am attempting to use mod_watch to monitor virtual domain bandwidth usage, but I really... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Bandwidth Regulation

Hello, I was wondering how one would go about regulating bandwidth of a server running RH Linux 8.0 and Apache. I am running a webserver, and want only one person to be able to download one file at a time. So, they can't click about 10 files and soak up lots of bandwidth. Plus, I would like to cap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bandwidth Monitoring.

Hi, I'm looking for some way to bring up in a shell window a realtime (or something that updates at 10 second intervals or whatever) bandwidth monitor. I just want something that shows me how much kbps is going in and how much is going out of each interface. Is there something that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

bandwidth

Hi, 1-What is bandewidth ? 2-How to calculate ? 3-How to measure ? Any free software to measure it ? Many thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Bandwidth montor

Hi all I have been running iptraf on a linux box for a few months monitoring bandwidth utilization realtime from mac address with port mirroring. Now I want to graph these bandwidth utilization. Is MRTG the right software? Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palm101
4 Replies

9. Programming

Bandwidth monitoring using python

I wish to develop an application to monitor the network traffic of my system. I wish to know which computer networked to me is using most of the bandwidth. I know the basics of python but do not know how to start the work.. please suggest some good methods to follow. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderhs
7 Replies
nagios(8)							      Nagios								 nagios(8)

NAME
Nagios - network/systems status monitoring daemon SYNOPSIS
nagios [-h] [-v] [-s] [-d] <main_config_file> DESCRIPTION
nagios is a daemon program that monitors the status of various network accessible systems, devices, and more. For more information, please consult the online documentation available at http://www.nagios.org, or on your nagios server's web page. OPTIONS
main_config_file The main configuration file. On openSUSE systems this defaults to /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg -h A helpful usage message -v Reads all data in the configuration files and performs a basic verification/sanity check. Always make sure you verify your config data before (re)starting Nagios. You can also use the Nagios init script to verify your configuration - try: rcnagios check_verbose -s Shows projected/recommended check scheduling information based on the current data in the configuration files. -d Starts Nagios in daemon mode (instead of as a foreground process). FILES
/etc/nagios Default configuration directory for nagios AUTHOR
Nagios is written and maintained by Ethan Galstad <nagios@nagios.org>. This manual page was written by sean finney <seanius@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux operating system (but it may be freely used, modified, and redistributed by others) and adapted by Lars Vogdt for openSUSE. sean finney, Lars Vogdt February 2006, May 2010 nagios(8)