Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remote ufsdump permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users remote ufsdump permissions Post 302076363 by jabberwocky on Monday 12th of June 2006 12:21:57 PM
Old 06-12-2006
Doh!

The problem is with the tape type; the tape drive is a SDLT 320. This takes SDLT Tape 1 data cartridges, I was using a DLT 4 cartridge which the tape drive will recognise, but only use as READ ONLY. Using SDLT Tape 1 tapes allows the tape to be written to.

However there was only one way to perform the ufsdump:

bash-2.05# mt -f bmsapp01:/dev/rmt/0cbn status
bmsapp01:/dev/rmt/0cbn: No such file or directory
bash-2.05# ksh
# set -o vi
# ufsdump 0fuc - / | rsh bmsapp01 dd of=/dev/rmt/0cbn
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon 12 Jun 2006 04:48:38 PM BST
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /dev/md/rdsk/d10 (bmsdb01:/) to standard output.
DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: Writing 63 Kilobyte records
DUMP: Estimated 10872978 blocks (5309.07MB).
DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: 56.44% done, finished in 0:07
DUMP: 10872916 blocks (5309.04MB) on 1 volume at 5092 KB/sec
DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
DUMP: Level 0 dump on Mon 12 Jun 2006 04:48:38 PM BST
10872917+2 records in
10872918+0 records out

Thanks,

J

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ufsdump

I want to try using Ufsdump for backups . The man pages state that the file systems should be inactive or be in the unmounted state . But for that system should be in single User mode. My query is that can we perform Ufsdump in run-level 3 ? And if no should I have to reboot it in Single user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump

hi i would like to backup my OS what is the exact command to do? beside backup to tapes can i back up to a directory in another server? will the command be the same? thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server

Hi gurus ! I am developing a FTP script which will copy all the files from one server to another server and then I need to use CHMOD 755 * to set permissions of all the files just copied to the remote server. mput * chmod 755 * CHMOD gives me an error CHMOD works fine If I specify... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ufsdump

Hi, I want to how to take backup of File system From Disk to Disk using ufsdump? Wheather we can take the backup of root file system from one disk to another if tape drive is not available? wheather it is reliable to restore root file system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ufsdump and restore

I just completed a level 0 ufsdump of the following files:- ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n / ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /usr ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /oracle ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /sapr3 I need to restore ALL the files onto a different machine and continue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ufsdump

Hi, I have 5 soraris boxes and i am trying to backup all to SAN.Which backup is more suitable tar or ufsdump? Also pls mention what are the important folders i need to back up. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
3 Replies

7. Solaris

ufsdump to a remote server

Hello, how can I use ufsdump utility for filesystem backup to a remote directory on a server dedicated for backups ( over network) ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Making backup with ufsdump to remote mounted filesystems

Hi Unix members. I am trying to make a backup to remote mounted filesystems : fileraseing:/vol/oracliente_revap01 10G 1.3G 8.7G 13% /orarev_ap01 fileraseing:/vol/bobje 10G 5.9G 4.1G 60% /bobje But I am receiving the follow message when use the ufsdump command: :$PWD>ufsdump 0fu... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do a ufsdump remote?

People i have 2 sun sparc solaris 10. I have one filesystem to 98% and i need to do a ufsdump of that filesystem. THe problem is that i don't have space to allocate the dump of the filesystem. Thats why i want to do it from the other sun and bring the ufs dump to de /FREE filesystem. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
4 Replies

10. Solaris

ufsdump

Experts, Before patching am advised to take backup : so am going with: ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt0 / ---> to take the whole / bkp to tape. some servers have /var in diff slice, In this case whether i need to take backup of /var also in tape? ufsdump -ouf /dev/rmt0 /var ---> to take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fizan
3 Replies
cvcd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cvcd(1M)

NAME
cvcd - virtual console daemon SYNOPSIS
/platform/platform_name/cvcd [-a auth] [-e encr] [-u esp_auth] DESCRIPTION
The virtual console daemon, cvcd, is a server process that supports the network console provided on some platforms. The cvcd daemon accepts network console connections from a remote host (only one host at any given time). Console input is read from this connection and forwarded to cvc(7D) by way of cvcredir(7D). Similarly, console output is read from cvcredir(7D) and forwarded across the network console connection. If cvcd dies, console traffic is automatically rerouted through an internal hardware interface. The cvcd daemon normally starts at system boot time. Each domain supports only one cvcd process at a time. Caution - On Sun Enterprise 10000 domains, cvcd uses a configuration file (/etc/ssphostname) to determine the name of the host from which network console connections are allowed. If the remote console host is renamed, you must edit the configuration file to reflect that change. The cvcd daemon supports per-socket IP Security Architecture (IPsec) through the options described below. See ipsec(7P). OPTIONS
The cvcd daemon supports the options listed below. -a auth Controls the IPsec Authentication Header (AH) algorithm. auth can be one of none, md5, or sha1. -e encr Controls the IPsec Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) encryption algorithm. encr can be one of none, des, or 3des. -u esp_auth Controls the IPsec Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) authentication algorithm. esp_auth can be one of none, md5, or sha1. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: platform_name The official Sun platform name used in packaging and code. For example, for Sun Fire 15K servers, the platform_name would be SUNW,Sun-Fire-15000. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting an IPSec Option The command below sets the value of the IPsec Authentication Header algorithm to md5. As a result of this command, cvcd will use the HMAC- MD5 authentication algorithm. # svccfg -s svc:/system/cvc setprop cvc/ah_auth = "md5" # svccfg -s svc:/system/cvc setprop cvc/esp_encr = "none" # svccfg -s svc:/system/cvc setprop cvc/esp_auth = "none" # svcadm refresh svc:/system/cvc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |Sun Enterprise 10000 | | |servers, Sun Fire High-End | | |Systems | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcvc.u | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), svcadm(1M), svccfg(1M), services(4), attributes(5), smf(5), cvc(7D), cvcredir(7D), ipsec(7P) Sun Enterprise 10000 SSP Reference Manual System Management Services (SMS) Reference Manual NOTES
The cvcd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the fault management resource identifier (FMRI): svc:/system/cvc Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M) or svc- cfg(1M). The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 9 Mar 2006 cvcd(1M)