Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What user is a process running as? Post 302074195 by america2 on Sunday 21st of May 2006 11:39:10 AM
Old 05-21-2006
What user is a process running as?

How do you determine what user a process is running as? I want to know what user proftpd is running as, and what user a script that I have is running as. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process launched by user who logs out, continue running ?

Lets say a user starts a process (either a shell script or a Perl script) and before that process finishes, he logs out (either intentionaly or network problems or ...), does the process continu running ? Default shell is Korn. This is because at my job (being trained), there are tasks to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oracle process running as user daemon

Hi, When process listing, I came across a process running as user daemon. daemon 23576 23574 0 07:32:04 ? 0:07 oracle (DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq))) root 27526 27444 1 07:38:43 ttyp5 0:00 grep 23574 why a process runs as user daemon, when it should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running time by taking user input

Need help in scripting . Below is the situation and need your inputs Checking all the processes, scripts running time based on user input time . Below Example ps -aef -o user,pid,etime,stime,args| grep sleep <user> 28995 01:24 14:14:39 sleep 120 <user> 29385 00:52 14:15:10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List Process running under current user

Hi, i need to list the processes running only under current logged in user. EX: $ whoami oraaqw $ ps -ef | grep tnslsnr oraaqw 11403300 19267592 0 09:14:47 pts/3 0:00 grep tnslsnr oraaqw 15794208 1 0 Jan 14 - 11:59... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
6 Replies

7. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
NEWUSER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							NEWUSER(8)

NAME
newuser - adding a new user SYNOPSIS
rc /sys/lib/newuser DESCRIPTION
To establish a new user on Plan 9, add the user's name to /adm/users by running the newuser command on the console of the file server (see users(6) and fs(8)). Next, give the user a password using the changeuser command on the console of the authentication server (see auth(8)). At this point, the user can bootstrap a terminal using the new name and password. The terminal will only get as far as running rc, however, as no profile exists for the user. The rc(1) script /sys/lib/newuser sets up a sensible environment for a new user of Plan 9. Once the terminal is running rc, type rc /sys/lib/newuser to build the necessary directories in /usr/$user and create a reasonable initial profile in /usr/$user/lib/profile. The script then runs the profile which, as its last step, brings up 81/2(1). At this point the user's environment is established and running. (There is no need to reboot.) It may be prudent at this point to run passwd(1) to change the password, depending on how the initial password was cho- sen. The profile built by /sys/lib/newuser looks like this: bind -a $home/bin/rc /bin bind -a $home/bin/$cputype /bin font = /lib/font/bit/pelm/euro.9.font switch($service){ case terminal prompt=('term% ' ' ') fn term%{ $* } exec 81/2 case cpu bind -b /mnt/term/mnt/81/2 /dev prompt=('cpu% ' ' ') echo -n $sysname > /dev/label fn cpu%{ $* } news case con prompt=('cpu% ' ' ') news } Sites may make changes to /sys/lib/newuser that reflect the properties of the local environment. Use the -c option of mail(1) to create a mailbox. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), 81/2(1), namespace(4), users(6), auth(8), fs(8) NEWUSER(8)