Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stupid IP question
Special Forums IP Networking stupid IP question Post 302072890 by buffoonix on Monday 8th of May 2006 04:03:52 PM
Old 05-08-2006
Your assumption is correct.
Because the number of available Internet routed IP addresses is limited
(at least for the time being until someday IPv6 will take over IPv4)
most ISPs have many, many fewer Internet IP address than customers
they have to provide with.
The same is mostly true for the bandwidth they sell.
They speculate that not all their customers will require Internet access at the
same time (much like a bank has more debters than they could redeem instantly).
Therefore they only posses a limited pool of IP addresses that they
assign dynamically each time a customer requests Internet access.
Because of the limited pool and the great demand it happens regularily that the next client in the queue gets the very same IP address someone else have been holding so far once he quits or gets kicked of (which forcebly happens at least once a day even for DSL clients of many ISPs)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stupid Question?

I have a SparcStation 10 and it came with an external CD Rom Drive. I am trying to install Solaris 2.6 Server on this machine from the Cd Rom. At the OK> prompt I type "boot cdrom - browser" and I get an error: scsi device not found:error = -1 or something to that effect. Does anyone have any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stupid question...

Hello, I've always been around systems that ran windows in one version or another, so I'm familiar with what/when/where/drivers/etc for that. I want to build a unix box to use as a place to learn and become more familiar with unix. I would also like to eventually convert it to a server to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cortney
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorry if this is a stupid question

Hi All, just a thought is it possible to make the shell read the following command $ $*pdf to list all pdf ($ls *.pdf) and $*htm as ($ls *.htm) Thanks for the inputs :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stupid question

I need to convert a Unix file to a 'Dos' file. Ie if I look at the converted file in 'vi' on Unix it will have '^M' at the end of each line. Hopefully it won't be a case of reading each line in turn and adding a \n. I've heard there is some sort of unix2dos command but it is not recognised on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stupid question!?

fedora core 2 xx8. 5xx version (not sure! not sure how to look it up either..(except on boot sorry!!)).. :( the linux version I started on last year was an old redhet 6.0 version with only text mode.. back then for some reason I knew I how to get rid of whole directories without a) going through... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorry! Stupid question, but...

Hey everybody. I'm going through my system (Mac OS X 10.3.9, through the Terminal application) trying to get rid of instances of MySQL that I installed over each other. I was having trouble getting MySQL to work: it wasn't letting me set the password, then it wouldn't let me create new databases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: starscream
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One stupid question

Has anybody come across the situation when after openning the cover of HP9000 the PC will not start. We checked everything but did not manage to find any solution to that. The PS seems to be functionning (at lease we can hear it clicking). Please help us solving the problem. Thanks to everybody. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrey Malishev
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stupid question

Hi all, Please excuse my ignorance - I'm a Cisco kid and my knowledge of Unix is somewhat flaky!! Basically we're running MRTG on an HP-UX server and wondered what the "-" means in the following text within the crontab file - -* * * * * root /home/mrtg/fwdev01.sh I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
3 Replies

9. AIX

stupid question: the path

I'm sorry for my stupid question, but when I log in with one account on my AIX machine, I see: psar3@caixpc24: /home/psar3 > > When I login with another login (pger1), I see: caixpc24 # how can i change that i see the same for pger1 as for psar3??? (it's easy to see with which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leilah
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stupid question

I just began learning how to use Unix, so forgive my stupidity. I know this is answered somewhere but it's pretty specific and probably easily answered. When I use some commands (particularly recently, the grep command) my terminal seems to freeze up. It switches out of bash mode and into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ems5311
2 Replies
inet(3n)																  inet(3n)

Name
       inet_addr, inet_network, inet_ntoa, inet_makeaddr, inet_lnaof, inet_netof - Internet address manipulation routines

Syntax
       #include <sys/socket.h>
       #include <netinet/in.h>
       #include <arpa/inet.h>

unsigned long inet_addr(cp)
       char *cp;

unsigned long inet_network(cp)
       char *cp;

char *inet_ntoa(in)
       struct in_addr in;

struct in_addr inet_makeaddr(net, lna)
       int net, lna;

int inet_lnaof(in)
       struct in_addr in;

int inet_netof(in)
       struct in_addr in;

Description
       The  routines and each interpret character strings representing numbers expressed in the Internet standard "."  notation, returning numbers
       suitable for use as Internet addresses and Internet network numbers, respectively.  The routine takes an Internet address  and  returns	an
       ASCII  string representing the address in "."  notation.  The routine takes an Internet network number and a local network address and con-
       structs an Internet address from it.  The routines and break apart Internet host addresses, returning the network number and local  network
       address part, respectively.

All  Internet  address  are  returned in network order (bytes ordered from left to right).  All network numbers and local address parts are
       returned as machine format integer values.

Internet Addresses
       Values specified using the "." notation take one of the following forms:
       a.b.c.d
       a.b.c
       a.b
       a
       When four parts are specified, each is interpreted as a byte of data and assigned, from left to right, to the four  bytes  of  an  Internet
       address.   Note	that  when  an	Internet  address is viewed as a 32-bit integer quantity on the VAX, the bytes referred to above appear as
       "d.c.b.a".  That is, VAX bytes are ordered from right to left.

When a three-part address is specified, the last part is interpreted as a 16-bit quantity and placed in the right most  two  bytes  of  the
       network address.  This makes the three-part address format convenient for specifying Class B network addresses as "128.net.host".

When a two-part address is supplied, the last part is interpreted as a 24-bit quantity and placed in the right most three bytes of the net-
       work address.  This makes the two-part address format convenient for specifying Class A network addresses as "net.host".

When only one part is given, the value is stored directly in the network address without any byte rearrangement.

All numbers supplied as "parts" in a "." notation may be decimal, octal, or hexadecimal, as specified in the C language (i.e. a leading	0x
       or 0X implies hexadecimal; otherwise, a leading 0 implies octal; otherwise, the number is interpreted as decimal).

Return Values
       The value -1 is returned by and for malformed requests.

See Also
       gethostent(3n), getnetent(3n), hosts(5), networks(5)

inet(3n)