Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wc vs ls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc vs ls Post 302072553 by Sreenivasa on Thursday 4th of May 2006 01:57:20 AM
Old 05-04-2006
Thank you... but a question

I was kind of heart broken when I didnt receive enough replies in the first two days of post. Now, I am really impressed by the number and the substance of the responses. Thank you one and all for take time out to help me.

One thing is still not clear for me... given that wc is upgraded to the correct version, are both wc -c and ls -l expected to return exactly same integer value for byte size (considering ASCII and Unicode - single byte/multibyte -files)?

Thanks again,
Sreenivas

WCTOB(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  WCTOB(3)

NAME
wctob - try to represent a wide character as a single byte SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> int wctob(wint_t c); DESCRIPTION
The wctob() function tests whether the multibyte representation of the wide character c, starting in the initial state, consists of a sin- gle byte. If so, it is returned as an unsigned char. Never use this function. It cannot help you in writing internationalized programs. Internationalized programs must never distinguish sin- gle-byte and multibyte characters. RETURN VALUE
The wctob() function returns the single-byte representation of c, if it exists, of EOF otherwise. CONFORMING TO
C99. NOTES
The behavior of wctob() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. This function should never be used. Internationalized programs must never distinguish single-byte and multibyte characters. Use either wctomb(3) or the thread-safe wcrtomb(3) instead. SEE ALSO
btowc(3), wcrtomb(3), wctomb(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2011-09-22 WCTOB(3)