Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Replacement Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String Replacement Script Post 302071975 by vino on Wednesday 26th of April 2006 05:54:51 AM
Old 04-26-2006
Code:
#!/bin/bash

replacethis=$1
withthis=$2

shift 2

for file in $@
do
  sed -e "s+$replacethis+$withthis+g" $file > $file.bak

cmp $file $file.bak > /dev/null
  if [ $? -eq 0 ]
   then
    echo "Files are the same, nothing was replaced."
     rm $file.bak
  else  
    mv $file.bak $file
  fi
done

Last edited by vino; 04-26-2006 at 07:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell/sed script for grep+string replacement

Hi, Let me explain the situation. There are many files in a directory and its sub-directories that conatin the string pattern "pa". I want to replace all such instances with the pattern "pranavagarwal" doing a grep "pa" `ls` does give me all the instances of the occurence of that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of string

Hi I have a text file which contains the following. AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD How can I replace all CCC with 888, with other contents inside the file remain unchange? Please advice Desired output: AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0384
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi I am new to shell scripting but i manage to do some simple things. I am trying to replace a string in one file. I am using sed to replace but it is not permanently writing to the file, rather it is temporary. I want to know whether is there any another method to replace a string in a file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with string replacement

I posted this issue a week or so ago and I still cant get the script to work. Here is what I have so far and what Im trying to do. #!/bin/ksh old="$1" new="$2" file=$3 grep $1 $3 > /dev/null if ;then cp $3 ${3}.bak sed "s/$1/$2/g" $3 > ${3}~ mv ${3}~ ${3} fithe script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordonheimer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel replacement string

Hi, Using the following command, I can only get rid of the last extension from my input file name: parallel command '>' {.}.output ::: my.input.file The output file is "my.input.output" How can I get rid of the last two extensions of my input file name, so that end up with "my.output"?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forU
4 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)