Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Pinting a file on Solaris 8 that wraps around. Post 302071408 by thestevew on Wednesday 19th of April 2006 10:05:47 AM
Old 04-19-2006
Try fold:

Code:
Man Page

User Commands                                             fold(1)

NAME
     fold - filter for folding lines

SYNOPSIS
     fold [ -bs ] [ -w width | -width ] [ file ...  ]

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Limits on Solaris 2.6

%ulimit -a nofiles(descriptors) 1024 This means that I can open up to 1024 file per process? But wonder if there is any hardlimit imposed by Solaris 2.6 (eg 255) ? By the way, is there any tool that can trace which files (or sockets) are opened by a process? Thanks DY (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris File Cache

I started a previous thread : https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/76721-coredumps-swap-part-solaris-mem-consumption.html But my fault as there is no xml feed for this forum i lost track and thread got closed. So in the mean time i went through some docs and here are my queries : 1. mdb -k... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script too many fields wraps to multiple lines

Hello. I'm trying to write a script to take a 5 field file, do some math, and extend it to 9 fields. Problem is, the script keeps wrapping it to two lines, even tho 9 fields, tab separated (even comma separated) doesn't fill the screen. Even if it did, I'm eventually copying it to an excel ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeNess
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Open .z file on solaris

Hello Admins; Anybody can suggest on how to open ".z" files on solaris. Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed wraps some lines, not all

Greetings. I am using SED to cleanup files that are laid out like so: ReceiverID=028936004663 SerialNumber=WD-WCAV95708405 Currenttemp=44C PowerOnHours=3663h ReceiverID=028923894902 SerialNumber=WD-WCAV9A766701 Currenttemp=49C PowerOnHours=2215h My boss wants files like this one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print excel file / csv file in solaris server ?

Hi, I have to print a excel file in solaris server. I am using lexmark printer with post script printer driver . But the problem is when i am using " lp -d <printer name> <somefile name.xls>" command it is not printing correctly. but for pdf file using the same command it printing correctly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambuddha
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Executable file on Solaris

Hi! What are executable file formats in Solaris? Can someone please share it? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klyde
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris :regarding /etc/shadow file

what does the last column in /etc/shadow file indicate?? i read man page,it tells its FLAG..but i am not able to understand exactly why its there :confused: thanks in advance, shekhar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

10. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies
fold(1) 							   User Commands							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - filter for folding lines SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width | -width] [file]... DESCRIPTION
The fold utility is a filter that will fold lines from its input files, breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions (or bytes, if the -b option is specified). Lines will be broken by the insertion of a NEWLINE character such that each output line (referred to later in this section as a segment) is the maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of column positions (or bytes). A line will not be broken in the middle of a character. The behavior is undefined if width is less than the number of columns any single character in the input would occupy. If the CARRIAGE-RETURN, BACKSPACE, or TAB characters are encountered in the input, and the -b option is not specified, they will be treated specially: BACKSPACE The current count of line width will be decremented by one, although the count never will become negative. fold will not insert a NEWLINE character immediately before or after any BACKSPACE character. CARRIAGE-RETURN The current count of line width will be set to 0. fold will not insert a NEWLINE character immediately before or after any CARRIAGE-RETURN character. TAB Each TAB character encountered will advance the column position pointer to the next tab stop. Tab stops will be at each column position n such that n modulo 8 equals 1. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Counts width in bytes rather than column positions. -s If a segment of a line contains a blank character within the first width column positions (or bytes), breaks the line after the last such blank character meeting the width constraints. If there is no blank character meeting the require- ments, the -s option will have no effect for that output segment of the input line. -w width|-width Specifies the maximum line length, in column positions (or bytes if -b is specified). If width is not a positive deci- mal number, an error is returned. The default value is 80. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of a text file to be folded. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Submitting a file of possibly long lines to the line printer An example invocation that submits a file of possibly long lines to the line printer (under the assumption that the user knows the line width of the printer to be assigned by lp(1)): example% fold -w 132 bigfile | lp ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fold: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were processed successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cut(1), pr(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
fold and cut(1) can be used to create text files out of files with arbitrary line lengths. fold should be used when the contents of long lines need to be kept contiguous. cut should be used when the number of lines (or records) needs to remain constant. fold is frequently used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than fold, lines wider than the printer is able to print (usually 80 or 132 column positions). fold may not work correctly if underlining is present. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 fold(1)