Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Retrieving output interactively Post 302068897 by fidodido on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 02:59:07 PM
Old 03-21-2006
I just see that td is just a wrapped tail -f under the covers. So, this actually make things easier, since I just want to, as new lines are added to this output, verify them to apply my criteria based on what I found on these. Still, if I do `tail -f file` while just seem to hang there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip and password protect non-interactively

I'm wondering if there is a way to zip a file and password protect it non-interactively. zip -e will prompt for a password but I don't want a prompt. This needs to be done automatically as part of a shell script. I'm using the zip command because the will be unzipped by a Windows machine. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: savage66
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can the search and replace can be done interactively

hi, To search and replace a string in multiple files i am using following command: find . -name '*.txt' -print0 |xargs -0 perl -pi -e 's/find_string/replace_string/g' I want to be prompted while replacing the string. how this can be done. thanks for every help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks__
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy interactively - shell input

Hello, I am making a script to copy files interactively from one directory to another using the "i" option because I dont want to overwrite the files. cp -i *.html ./../otherdir/ cp: do you want to overwrite (y/n) ? I used cp -i *.html ./../otherdir/ ans='n' read $ans ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: telecomics
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a cron job interactively?

My application has r.cron file which removes the cron job automatically during un-installation (pkgrm). But I want to take user input to decide on the deletion of cron job. I tried to put the code (to prompt user) in r.cron itself. But it is not waiting for user input. Where can I put that code? We... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durbam2002
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input username and password interactively

Hi guys, I am using Solaris 10 and we install IBM OnDemand server there. there's a command called arsload that we use to load document and query document too. I need to write a script to query document but when querying document, this command prompt for username then password. My question is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markthien
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to run top or glance non-interactively using ssh

Hello Am trying to run top /glance non-interactively using ssh from redhat to hp-ux hosts but getting following errors.. ======================= ssh msi 'top -n 1' Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than "unknown". ssh msi top -d1 -n20 > /tmp/top.out Sorry, I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to create a here document by running a script interactively?

hi, i have script which installs around 20 packages. during installation of each package script will be prompted for user input. i need to run the script in non-interactive by using here document. is it possible to generate here document by running the script in interactive mode on Solaris?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Edit non-global zone IP address - non-interactively

Hi there I have a global zone with 178 zones on it :-) The entire box is moving to an entirely new network and I need to write a script that will configure the zones config file in /etc/zones for each of them changing the IP address - but non-interactively The line I need to change would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse through list of servers using ssh non-interactively.

I have 300 servers listed in servers.txt I motto is to check if my id "user1" has sudo privileges on the 3000 servers. I m using sudo -l to check if I have privileges or not. If wish to check this either non-interactively; if not; interactively. Below is the script I wrote: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command works interactively but not in bash script

The below command works in the terminal interactively but not as part of a bash script. I though maybe I needed to escape the "$dir" so it isn't interpreted literally, but that's not it. Thank you :). interactively in terminal dir=/path/to new=$(ls "$dir"/*.csv -tr | tail -n 1) && echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
SAFE_FINGER(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SAFE_FINGER(8)

NAME
safe_finger - finger client wrapper that protects against nasty stuff from finger servers SYNOPSIS
safe_finger [finger_options] DESCRIPTION
The safe_finger command protects against nasty stuff from finger servers. Use this program for automatic reverse finger probes from the tcp_wrapper (tcpd) , not the raw finger command. The safe_finger command makes sure that the finger client is not run with root privileges. It also runs the finger client with a defined PATH environment. safe_finger will also protect you from problems caused by the output of some finger servers. The problem: some programs may react to stuff in the first column. Other programs may get upset by thrash anywhere on a line. File systems may fill up as the finger server keeps sending data. Text editors may bomb out on extremely long lines. The finger server may take forever because it is somehow wedged. safe_finger takes care of all this badness. SEE ALSO
hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5), tcpd(8) AUTHOR
Wietse Venema, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. Linux 21th June 1997 SAFE_FINGER(8)