Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: re-compiling
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users re-compiling Post 302068851 by aViking on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 09:44:35 AM
Old 03-21-2006
Streaming

Could it be that the compiler and/or linker uses streaming and so produces a different order of objects in the executable, which of course would then mean that the same source code could potentially produce different executables.

Regardless of the wording of "unnecessary" information, would there be other good reasons why sources a, b, c, d does not always produce the byte by byte same executable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C compiling

I recently loaded SuSE on my intel comp. I am presently taking a walk down memory lane from my days at UofT. I was fiddling round with cc and the gcc compilers. I wrote a basic basic basic program . I tried to compile it as I remember doing in Uni. The problem is that it can't find the header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling

would anyone know of a good online tutorial on compiling and installing tarballs? i'm looking for one that assumes that you know very little to nothing about unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling qt

i am trying to compile and install free qt for x11 2.2.4 in order to use kde 2.1. i'm using freebsd 4.3 i currently have XFree86 installed and working. i followed these instructions: ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/INSTALL i get through the unpacking fine and i set my .profile. --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
2 Replies

4. Programming

compiling

I am new to unix so please forgive ignorance. I am running openbsd-2.9 and need some help. All the software I run was added via the package system openbsd has. There have been times when I need an app. But it was not in the openbsd ports and or packages system. I usually just wait for it to show up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
1 Replies

5. AIX

compiling with aix 5.1

Hello, i will compile php and apache on an aix 5.1. Configure works fine. When i start the make the following error appears: /usr/include/sys/context.h:155: parse error before "sigset64_t" /usr/include/sys/context.h:158: parse error before '}' token make: 1254-004 The error code from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: n-may
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

compiling the RRDtool

I tried to compile the RRDtool on HP-UX (IA56). I have gcc-3.4.3 and perl 5.8.0 I got this: Writing Makefile for RRDs cd perl-shared && make /opt/perl/bin/perl /opt/perl/lib/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap /opt/perl/lib/5.8.0/ExtUtils/typemap RRDs.xs > RRDs.xsc && mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalin
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Compiling programs

Hi guys i have posted a thread months ago and a guy called dukenuke or smething like that told me that i have to install Sun Studio if i want to be able to compile programs. I have installed Sun Studio 12 and put it in my PATH but no success compiling anything. when i download some source (tar.gz)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saveka
2 Replies

8. Programming

Compiling with Dll in HP Ux

Hi all, I had trouble compiling my application with a custom dll, the error appear to be some undefined reference to the functions i had created in my dll. Is there a need to update any environmental variable such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH as in linux system. Please advise. One more thing is do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problem in HP-UX compiling

Hi When im trying to do make --version and make --help in HP-UX it throws error Make: Unknown flag argument -. Stop. a soft link is present in this directory /usr/bin/make and hard link is in /usr/ccs/bin/make what could be the reason can any1 ..please tell me how to solve this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

10. Linux

kernel compiling

Hello, I have several questions to get awnsered about the newer linux kernels (2.6.25) and above. 1st question: Ive read that the newer kernels you can compile the marvell sd8686 driver from the source. can anyone confrim this? only binaries i see for that driver are for 2.6.24 and im already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: old noob
0 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)