Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris8(intel)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris8(intel) Post 3009 by cubchubby on Saturday 16th of June 2001 09:57:31 AM
Old 06-16-2001
What you should probably do is reinstall with
customized partitions. The default that is
provided will cause your /(root) partition to
fill up in no time. What do you have a 10 GB
hard drive? If you do I'd consider using 10%
for root....10% for export home..40%for /usr..
..%40 for /opt. These are just a guess as I don't
know what you're using the machine for. /usr is
where most utilities and programs will default to
when installed. /opt is typically used for
installing other major apps like Oracle. If you
post saying what you use the box for you will
probably get better suggestions.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

downloaded solaris8

i have downloaded 3 zipped solaris ver 8 07/01 installation cd and i want to ask this question: 1. what will i do to burn it? do i need to extract the file and then burn it? what? Note: Those zipped files have only one file each and it has more than 100mb plus. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodelu
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A problme about solaris8

Hello,I have a problme when log on Solaris 8 ,screen show"DT information system do not startup".what's this.how to do it? thankx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yeliu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about grep on solaris8

there is -r switch for grep in linux, but in solaris 8, I found it doesn't support it. But I really need this function to rescue my sub-directories, so anybody can help me?thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldown
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Segmentation fault in solaris8

hi, I am running solaris8 under E220R. While adding the user system show the following error message. How can i overcome this error?. anyone plz help me. bash-2.03# passwd raja New Password: Re-enter new Password: Segmentation Fault Thanks muthu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris8

What is the max file system that I can create. Is the max 2TB? I trying to connect a iscsi device and Solaris can only see 999 GB. Do I have to change sector size? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmcguinn71
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help for add disk on solaris8

Hi, boss i have a question about the system add the new disk. I add 6 disks in Sunfire 880, i want to put these 6 disks in to service but i do not want re-install the system, some guys can give me some advie on this case? thanks very much the follow is detail 0. c1t0d0 <SUN72G cyl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
3 Replies

7. Solaris

netsnmp on solaris8 sparc

hello, I installed netsnmp 5.6 on solaris 8 (sparc). now I want to have cpu, memory and disk used, for this when i execute: snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memory it displays me: End of mib please tel me how to do, to have this information (cpu, memory and disk used). thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamou23
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.profile in solaris8

question: why is that when I created a user under solaris8, i got two lines before the login.. sample: login as: user1 user1@1.1.1.1's password: Last login: Fri Feb 25 17:00:52 2011 from 12.0.0.5 Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000 Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
0 Replies

9. Solaris

wxWidgets on Solaris8

hello, i am trying to compile wxWidgets on a Solaris8 box, but get this message: checking for XML_ParserCreate in -lexpat... yes checking for mspack.h... no checking for X... no configure: error: X11 not found, please use --x-includes and/or --x-libraries options (see config.log for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norman Khine
0 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)