Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Entry Points Routine
Top Forums Programming Entry Points Routine Post 29654 by S.P.Prasad on Thursday 10th of October 2002 01:48:35 AM
Old 10-10-2002
When the UNIX operating system goes to process the open system call, it internally finds out the major number of the file.It uses the major number to index into a table of all of the character drivers installed ( if the file is a character special file ).The declaration within the table contains information in the structure "see dev switch" which has a member variable of type pointer to struct streamtab. The said variable is supposed to contain info about the read and write queues in type structure struct qinit format.The read queue need not have the put procedure while the write need not have open and close procedure.

I am bit confused at this junction. If the read and write queue has different entry points .... the modules on the read and write queues are not matching ? When we insert a module into the stream it is inserted just after the head and modules will be poped out in LIFO way. I am unable to get the full picture clear, the basic being how does the entry points modules linked to the read and write queue and as to how the picture looks like when modules are inserted. Further more where in the picture the "read/write services" fits in with respect to queues?

I know I would be sounding a bit foolish but I need to clear all my doubts at elementary level. Thanks in advance for all your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sub routine call

in windows machine... C:\2\test>perl -version This is perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail) ------------------------------------------ what is the difference b\w subroutine calls: sub_routine_name("-----"); and ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Gnuplot question: how to plot 3D points as colored points in map view?

I have a simple gnuplot question. I have a set of points (list of x,y,z values; irregularly spaced, i.e. no grid) that I want to plot. I want the plot to look like this: - points in map view (no 3D view) - color of each point should depend on its z-value. - I want to define my own color scale -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cp files to dir,using routine?

hi all, I wanted to know how we can copy files to dirs, through a routine and when the file and the dir are specified as parameters for that routine and explicitly called? Eg: suppose i want to copy file1 to /tmp then myproc() { . . } myproc /path/file1 /tmp/ These parameters when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists routine

Hello experts, I need some help here.. I've written the following routine to check for existence of files. The routine does the following. It will look for a compressed ( .Z ) file and if it exists, then it will uncompress it, if it is already uncompressed, then it will just diplay a message... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk routine help

Hi, I use awk but not as a programming language. Just generally in piplelines to split things out by fields. I am trying to accomplish this one thing that I think a short awk routine would do great for, but can't figure it out. Lets say I have a file that contains database columns. The file... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwellers
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not find the mistake in a small routine!!!

Have a textfile (regular updated) with informations about datafiles . Each line is describing a datafile. Now I am trying to delete several specific lines in this textfile, which are defined before in a kind of removal list. Can not find the mistake I have done in the script because in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurgen
5 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Parse An Inherited Command/Routine

I am am one of these people that it isn't good enough just to say, "Here, try this...". it is important for me to understand how and why something works (or doesn't work.) All that being said, I am trying to parse out a command that we use that was handed down to me by someone I can no longer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple "&nbsp;" entry with in <td> tag into single entry using sed?

I have the input file like this. Input file: 12.txt 1) There are one or more than one <tr> tags in same line. 2) Some tr tags may have one <td> or more tna one <td> tags within it. 3) Few <td> tags having "<td> &nbsp; </td>". Few having more than one "&nbsp;" entry in it. <tr> some td... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
4 Replies
ptm(7D) 							      Devices								   ptm(7D)

NAME
ptm - STREAMS pseudo-tty master driver DESCRIPTION
The pseudo-tty subsystem simulates a terminal connection, where the master side represents the terminal and the slave represents the user process's special device end point. In order to use the pseudo-tty subsystem, a node for the master side driver /dev/ptmx and N number of nodes for the slave driver must be installed. See pts(7D). The master device is set up as a cloned device where its major device number is the major for the clone device and its minor device number is the major for the ptm driver. There are no nodes in the file system for mas- ter devices. The master pseudo driver is opened using the open(2) system call with /dev/ptmx as the device parameter. The clone open finds the next available minor device for the ptm major device. A master device is available only if it and its corresponding slave device are not already open. When the master device is opened, the cor- responding slave device is automatically locked out. Only one open is allowed on a master device. Multiple opens are allowed on the slave device. After both the master and slave have been opened, the user has two file descriptors which are the end points of a full duplex con- nection composed of two streams which are automatically connected at the master and slave drivers. The user may then push modules onto either side of the stream pair. The master and slave drivers pass all messages to their adjacent queues. Only the M_FLUSH needs some processing. Because the read queue of one side is connected to the write queue of the other, the FLUSHR flag is changed to the FLUSHW flag and vice versa. When the master device is closed an M_HANGUP message is sent to the slave device which will render the device unusable. The process on the slave side gets the errno EIO when attempting to write on that stream but it will be able to read any data remaining on the stream head read queue. When all the data has been read, read() returns 0 indicating that the stream can no longer be used. On the last close of the slave device, a 0-length message is sent to the master device. When the application on the master side issues a read() or getmsg() and 0 is returned, the user of the master device decides whether to issue a close() that dismantles the pseudo-terminal subsystem. If the master device is not closed, the pseudo-tty subsystem will be available to another user to open the slave device. If O_NONBLOCK or O_NDELAY is set, read on the master side returns -1 with errno set to EAGAIN if no data is available, and write returns -1 with errno set to EAGAIN if there is internal flow control. IOCTLS
The master driver supports the ISPTM and UNLKPT ioctls that are used by the functions grantpt(3C), unlockpt(3C) and ptsname(3C). The ioctl ISPTM determines whether the file descriptor is that of an open master device. On success, it returns the 0. The ioctl UNLKPT unlocks the master and slave devices. It returns 0 on success. On failure, the errno is set to EINVAL indicating that the master device is not open. FILES
/dev/ptmx master clone device /dev/pts/M slave devices (M = 0 -> N-1) SEE ALSO
grantpt(3C), ptsname(3C), unlockpt(3C), pckt(7M), pts(7D) STREAMS Programming Guide SunOS 5.11 5 Feb 1997 ptm(7D)