Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 8mm tape drive I/O error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 8mm tape drive I/O error Post 29166 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 08:37:09 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Re: 8mm tape drive I/O error

Quote:
Originally posted by geoquest
I tried this with tar /dev/rmt/1n * <-- with no option

what could be the problem!!!!!!!!
When I tried:
tar /dev/rmt/1n *
I got:
tar: /: unknown option

What version of unix are you using? And are you using the standard tar program? Every version of tar that I have ever seen requires a function code. Could it be that yours does too?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

help installing Sun 8mm unipack scsi tape drive

Hi all, please help I am stuck. I have installed a external unipack scsi tape drive. The tape drive is Exabyte Eliant 820. All I did was connected scsi cable and power it on. When issued "probe-scsi-all" command, the tape is correctly identified. However, when issued "dmesg | more" command, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tape Drive error

I have a hp d 350 running on 10.2,im having a problem with the dds2 tape drive whenever i tried backing up larger files...i have remove the tape driver and add it using sam again but still the tape drive is not working .....is there a solution to this problem? # tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m priso.ds a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Error After Installing Tape Drive

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris, I have a SunFire V120 box, i was trying to install a tape drive(HP SureStore DAT24), i did the install in this manner. # rm -rf /etc/path_to_inst # init 6 later at the "ok" prompt i gave "boot -ar" after doing that it asked me various options i accepted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra.rait
2 Replies

4. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

5. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

7. AIX

Copying to tape drive throws error

Hi All I am trying to copy files present in a partition (server 2) which is mounted to a different server (server 1) as tape drive is connected to it. I ran the below command to copy files within a partition: svr01:root:/sunfileserver> tar -cvf * a <foldername>/<filename>/<filename> a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vathsan
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

DLT 7000 tape drive failing with "write error on a record in the index"

HP rp5450 (L2000) running HP-UX 11.11B Using DLT 7000 and DLT 4000 tape drives for nightly full backups Backup jobs created by SAM DLT 7000 cron entry is as follows: 00 2 * * 1-6 /usr/sam/lbin/br_backup DLT FULL Y /dev/rmt/0m /var/sam/graphLCAa17036 root Y 1 N > /var/sam/SAM_br_msgs 2>&1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreh99
1 Replies
TM(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     TM(4)

NAME
tm - TM-11/TE-10 magtape interface SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: # Setting AVIVTM configures the TM driver for the AVIV 800/1600/6250 # controller. For more details, see /sys/pdpuba/tm.c. NTM tm_drives # TM11 AVIVTM YES # AVIV 800/1600/6250 controller /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments tm ? 172520 224 5 tmintr # tm11 driver major device number(s): raw: 7 block: 1 minor device encoding: bits 0003 specify TS drive bit 0004 specifies no-rewind operation bits 0030 specify recording density: 0000: 800BPI 0010: 1600BPI (AVIVTM and some other controllers) 0020: 6250BPI (AVIVTM only) DESCRIPTION
The tm-11/te-10 combination provides a standard tape drive interface as described in mtio(4). The standard DEC tm-11 operates only at 800 bpi. Other controllers of this type may also allow operation at 1600 bpi, under software control or by switching manually. FILES
/dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
mt(1), tar(1), tp(1), mtio(4), ht(4), ts(4), mt(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
te%d: no write ring. An attempt was made to write on the tape drive when no write ring was present; this message is written on the termi- nal of the user who tried to access the tape. te%d: not online. An attempt was made to access the tape while it was offline; this message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to access the tape. te%d: can't change density in mid-tape. An attempt was made to write on a tape at a different density than is already recorded on the tape. This message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to switch the density. te%d: hard error bn%d er=%b. A tape error occurred at block bn; the tm error register is printed in octal with the bits symbolically decoded. Any error is fatal on non-raw tape; when possible the driver will have retried the operation which failed several times before reporting the error. te%d: lost interrupt. A tape operation did not complete within a reasonable time, most likely because the tape was taken off-line during rewind or lost vacuum. The controller should, but does not, give an interrupt in these cases. The device will be made available again after this message, but any current open reference to the device will return an error as the operation in progress aborts. BUGS
If any non-data error is encountered on non-raw tape, it refuses to do anything more until closed. 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 28, 1988 TM(4)