Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 8mm tape drive I/O error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 8mm tape drive I/O error Post 29166 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 08:37:09 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Re: 8mm tape drive I/O error

Quote:
Originally posted by geoquest
I tried this with tar /dev/rmt/1n * <-- with no option

what could be the problem!!!!!!!!
When I tried:
tar /dev/rmt/1n *
I got:
tar: /: unknown option

What version of unix are you using? And are you using the standard tar program? Every version of tar that I have ever seen requires a function code. Could it be that yours does too?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

help installing Sun 8mm unipack scsi tape drive

Hi all, please help I am stuck. I have installed a external unipack scsi tape drive. The tape drive is Exabyte Eliant 820. All I did was connected scsi cable and power it on. When issued "probe-scsi-all" command, the tape is correctly identified. However, when issued "dmesg | more" command, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tape Drive error

I have a hp d 350 running on 10.2,im having a problem with the dds2 tape drive whenever i tried backing up larger files...i have remove the tape driver and add it using sam again but still the tape drive is not working .....is there a solution to this problem? # tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m priso.ds a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Error After Installing Tape Drive

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris, I have a SunFire V120 box, i was trying to install a tape drive(HP SureStore DAT24), i did the install in this manner. # rm -rf /etc/path_to_inst # init 6 later at the "ok" prompt i gave "boot -ar" after doing that it asked me various options i accepted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra.rait
2 Replies

4. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

5. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

7. AIX

Copying to tape drive throws error

Hi All I am trying to copy files present in a partition (server 2) which is mounted to a different server (server 1) as tape drive is connected to it. I ran the below command to copy files within a partition: svr01:root:/sunfileserver> tar -cvf * a <foldername>/<filename>/<filename> a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vathsan
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

DLT 7000 tape drive failing with "write error on a record in the index"

HP rp5450 (L2000) running HP-UX 11.11B Using DLT 7000 and DLT 4000 tape drives for nightly full backups Backup jobs created by SAM DLT 7000 cron entry is as follows: 00 2 * * 1-6 /usr/sam/lbin/br_backup DLT FULL Y /dev/rmt/0m /var/sam/graphLCAa17036 root Y 1 N > /var/sam/SAM_br_msgs 2>&1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreh99
1 Replies
device_maps(4)							   File Formats 						    device_maps(4)

NAME
device_maps - device_maps file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/device_maps DESCRIPTION
The device_maps file contains access control information about each physical device. Each device is represented by a one line entry of the form: device-name : device-type : device-list : where device-name This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the physical device. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-type This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the generic device type. This field identifies and groups together devices of like type. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-list This is a list of the device special files associated with the physical device. This field contains valid device special file path names separated by white space. The device_maps file is an ASCII file that resides in the /etc/security directory. Lines in device_maps can end with a `' to continue an entry on the next line. Comments may also be included. A `#' makes a comment of all further text until the next NEWLINE not immediately preceded by a `'. Leading and trailing blanks are allowed in any of the fields. The device_maps file must be created by the system administrator before device allocation is enabled. This file is owned by root, with a group of sys, and a mode of 0644. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A Sample device_maps File The following is a sample device_maps file: # scsi tape st1: rmt: /dev/rst21 /dev/nrst21 /dev/rst5 /dev/nrst5 /dev/rst13 /dev/nrst13 /dev/rst29 /dev/nrst29 /dev/rmt/1l /dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/1 /dev/rmt/1h /dev/rmt/1u /dev/rmt/1ln /dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/1n /dev/rmt/1hn /dev/rmt/1un /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/1bn: FILES
/etc/security/device_maps Contains access control information for devices. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), deallocate(1), list_devices(1), dminfo(1M), device_allocate(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if Solaris Auditing has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. On systems configured with Trusted Extensions, the functionality is enabled by default. On such systems, the device_allocate(4) file is updated automatically by the system. SunOS 5.11 30 Apr 2008 device_maps(4)