Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New www.unix.com search
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators New www.unix.com search Post 28624 by oombera on Friday 20th of September 2002 10:43:18 PM
Old 09-20-2002
I could understand two-letter searches killing the database if every word containing the letters "vi" were returned; however, since you're only looking for the exact match of "vi" (and nothing containing vi, such as visual, vis, etc) I don't understand why that would hurt performance any more than looking for words that are three letters or more in length...

but I guess if you tried it and it don't work then it just don't work. oh well Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

www.unix.com

Of late, when i start www.unix.com my system is going to 100% CPU and takes lot of time to get the information. I think this is happening after adding the graphics on the page. Has anyone seen this problem..Sorry to post this here.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
6 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

scripts/programs/code posted to www.unix.com

Every now and then our users post complete programs to this site. It is especially important that these contributions don't get lost, so I will collect them here. Some of these programs are intended to demonstrate a programming technique and some are ready to run. As a guideline, the code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Access to https://www.unix.com/source?

Folks, Hope this is not a newbie question, but it might end up being that. I wanted to retrieve the source code for unix_linux_bench as directed on https://www.unix.com/linux-benchmarks/11175-instructions-linux-benchmarks.html When one clicks on the links specified for download, the browser... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagdalule
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Problem connecting to www.unix.com

I've been having a problem connecting to the forum. I know it is just something with my computer but I have no idea what it is. It started last week. Every time I connect I get this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <rss version="2.0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vi-Curious
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Www.UNIX.com is slow today ???

Hi, Just wanting to know if there is any issues today with the site. Initially I thought it is my internet connection or computer but regardless which one I use, the site has been slow and it is also not showing with the right fonts etc. I've been trying for the last 12+ hours and it's always been... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
21 Replies
deroff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 deroff(1)

NAME
deroff - Deletes neqn, nroff, and tbl constructs SYNOPSIS
deroff [-i | -l] [-kpuw] [-ma | -me | -mm | -ms] file... deroff [-i | -l] [-kpuw] -mm -ml file... The deroff command reads the specified files (or standard input by default), removes all nroff requests, macro calls, backslash constructs, eqn constructs (between and lines and between delimiters), and tbl descriptions, replacing many of them with spaces or blank lines, and writes the remainder of the file to standard output. OPTIONS
Suppresses processing of included files (.so and Keeps blocks of text specified by requests or macros; for example, the request. Sup- presses processing of included files whose names begin with /usr/lib (such as macro files in /usr/lib/tmac). Interprets man macros only. Interprets me macros only. Ignores mm macros and deletes mm list structures. The -mm option must be specified with this option. Inter- prets ms and mm macros only. Interprets ms macros only. Performs special paragraph processing. Removes _ and  in underlined and boldfaced words. Automatically sets the -w option. Formats output into a word list, containing one word per line, with all other charac- ters deleted. In text, a word is any string that contains at least two letters and is composed of letters, digits, ampersands (&), and apostrophes ('). In a macro call, a word is a string that begins with at least two letters and contains a total of at least three letters. Delimiters are any characters other than letters, digits, ampersands, and apostrophes. Trailing ampersands and apostrophes are removed from words. DESCRIPTION
The deroff command normally follows chains of included files (.so and requests) and processes those files. If a file was already included, a naming it is ignored and a deroff(1)