Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start process in shellscript at other terminal Post 27481 by benschell on Monday 2nd of September 2002 07:24:14 AM
Old 09-02-2002
Hammer & Screwdriver Thx

Thx for helping, Janr!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal doesnt start

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new using UNIX, but a friend of mine was helping me configure the unix terminal on my mac, and he changed some stuff on the bash profile .bash_profile. Everything was going well until I shut my computer and restarted it. When I opened the terminal this time this is what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thefloydpink
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends?

Hi all, I'm doing automation task for my team and I just started to learn unix scripting so please shed some light on how to do this: 1) I have 2 sets of datafiles - datafile A and B. These datafiles must be loaded subsequently and cannot be loaded concurrently. 2) So I loaded datafile A... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Start process independent from TERMINAL (or also with PPID 1)

Hi *, please, I need fast tip (help). I have a process starting through /etc/rc3.d/xxxx script. However, sometimes (mostly because of testing reasons) I need to stop the process, change something and then start it again. But: 1) when I start it in terminal, the process dies when I leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeangel
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

How to start a new terminal from command line?

Dear All, Anyone knows how to start a new bash terminal from command line? Another question: when I use "open" command (open test.pdf) to open a pdf file, the PDF reader will start up, but cannot associate with that file. Anyone knows why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewust
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Terminal autorunning commands at start

How do I make terminal autorun commands at start up? For example, I have several windows of terminal, I want one to automatically run 'top' and a couple others autorun 'man' pages. Is there any way I can do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randomtypos
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put Script on Start-up the sh Terminal

Hi all I want to put this script on start-up the sh Terminal to save history of output: if ; then logdir=$HOME/terminal-logs if ; then mkdir $logdir fi gzip -q $logdir/*.log logfile=$logdir/$(date +%F_%T).$$.log ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
12 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Start X Server without starting a terminal

when I run C:\cygwin\bin\run C:\cygwin\bin\startxwin.exe it fires up a terminal by default. Can I eliminate that terminal and start the x server as a service silently and sits in my status bar just there? Thanks Jack (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
0 Replies

10. AIX

Process on a specified Terminal and Socket Port does not start

Hi, I new to AIX, and I have been using Rocket UniData in it. I had to set up a Process for Data Exchange by assigning a unique Terminal and a Socket Port to that process. I ran the process for the first time and it was successful and after use I stopped the process. Now when I want to run it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BejoyS
3 Replies
TTY(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TTY(4)

NAME
tty - controlling terminal DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/tty is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 0, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group root.tty. It is a syn- onym for the controlling terminal of a process, if any. In addition to the ioctl() requests supported by the device that tty refers to, the following ioctl() request is supported: TIOCNOTTY Detach the current process from its controlling terminal, and remove it from its current process group, without attaching it to a new process group (that is, set its process group ID to zero). This ioctl() call only works on file descriptors connected to /dev/tty; this is used by daemon processes when they are invoked by a user at a terminal. The process attempts to open /dev/tty; if the open succeeds, it detaches itself from the terminal by using TIOCNOTTY, while if the open fails, it is obviously not attached to a terminal and does not need to detach itself. FILES
/dev/tty SEE ALSO
mknod(1), chown(1), getty(1), termios(3), console(4), ttys(4) Linux 1992-01-21 TTY(4)