Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New Drive problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New Drive problems Post 27306 by DPAI on Thursday 29th of August 2002 05:05:09 PM
Old 08-29-2002
New Drive problems

Sun Ultra 80 ...
had to connect an additional drive. connect it according to hardware manual
The problem is when i try to power on the system , it dosent start, .. like the system is dead. Smilie
So i remove the new drive and voila ... power starts up .

Can anyone pinpoint wats goin on here.

Why is it that power fails to light up these beauties... when this drive is connected..

DP

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

HP DAT Drive C1533A on RH9 Problems

HELP!! I am having some major problems at present with a HP dat drive under RH9. The drive worked fine previously under RH8, but now does not work. I am using kernel 2.4.20-30.9 on a i686 athlon intel box. My messages log shows the below: Apr 23 11:39:24 devsys kernel: ahc_pci:1:6:0:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkimber6
0 Replies

2. SuSE

SUSE 9 - problems accessing CD ROM drive

I've got SUSE 9 installed on a removable hard drive and the system is up and running fine. I'm trying to copy stuff off a CD onto one of my Linux partitions but I am getting an errors : * Could not read /media/cdrom/file1.tar.tar I can browse to the file location on the CD by using the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: GandalfWhite
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problems using Sony AIT drive

Recently we brought up a Spectralogic 2K Tape Library that had been out of service for about 3 years to replace a DDS-4 tape drive unit as our main backup device. Everything seemed to go fine but now I have run into a little problem. System details: FBSD 6.1 SpectraLogic 2K library with a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Tape drive problems

Recently we had a problem with a CPU card on our SunFire V880 which has Solaris 9 OS. we removed the card and there was also a problem with our usr which was accidentally deleted. We able to restore the usr but now we having a problem with our tape drive. Previously we could write to the with ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10: Problems booting off mirror drive -- Error 22: No such partition

Solaris 10 5/08 on Ultra 40 M2 It boots fine off primary disk but having issues booting off the mirror disk. I get this error when booting off mirror disk: Booting 'Solaris 10 ... Mirror disk' root (hd1,0,a) Error 22: No such partition Press any key to continue... Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with SCSI card and tape drive

Currenty running SCO Openserver 6 at a Dell PowerEdge T300. I recently installed a driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (adpu320). When I connect a tape drive to it and re-start the system,it freezes and displays the following message: "WARNING: adpu320: Command timed out (ha= 4)" and the system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

7. SCO

Problems Detecting HP Tape Drive

I am trying to install an HP StorageWorks DAT40 Tape drive at SC0 5.0.7. The tape drive is not functional. When I run #sconf -v this is what I get; Sdsk ad160 0 0 0 0 Sdsk ad160 0 0 1 0 Stp ad160 0 0 3 0 But when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

LV and/or physical drive problems HP9000

I'm a technician who has been called upon to troubleshoot an ancient HP9000 K260, running HP UX 11.11. After a power sag/crash/restart FSCK gave multiple error/warning messages about logical volumes and groups. I have some modest experience with Unix servers, but not on such an old and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick.scalia
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies
uata(7D)																  uata(7D)

NAME
uata - IDE Host Bus Adapter Driver SYNOPSIS
ide@unit-address The uata host bus adapter driver is a nexus driver that supports the ide interface on SPARC platforms. The driver attempts to set the disk and ATAPI CD-ROM drive to maximum supported speed. The uata driver supports ultra DMA mode-4 (ATA66). Currently, the uata driver supports the CMD646U, Sil680a and Acer Southbridge M5229 IDE controllers. The uata driver supports two channels concurrently with two devices connected per channel. The devices are logically numbered from 0 to 3: 0 Master disk on primary channel. 1 Slave disk on primary channel. 2 Master disk on secondary channel. 3 Slave disk on secondary channel. For ATAPI devices, an ATAPI DRIVE RESET command is issued to facilitate recovery from timeouts and errors. The BSY bit of the drive's sta- tus register is polled to check for the drive reset completion. If the drive reset fails, a warning message is displayed and the recovery process continues. This logic is subject to change. To control the maximum time spent waiting for the ATAPI drive reset to complete, the atapi-device-reset-waittime tunable property is avail- able through the /kernel/drv/uata.conf file. The default and maximum/minimum values are shown below. Please see /kernel/drv/uata.conf for more info. Default value: 3000000 Minimum value: 20 Maximum value: 3000000 The atapi-device-reset-waittime property units are in microseconds. /kernel/drv/uata 32-bit ELF kernel module. /kernel/drv/uata.conf Driver configuration file. prtconf(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5) X3T10 ATA-4 specifications In addition to being logged, the following messages may appear on the system console: ddi_get_iblock_cookie failed. The driver could not obtain the interrupt cookie. The attach may fail. Drive not ready before set_features. Indicates a fatal problem. The drives are not ready to be programmed and features cannot be set. (During the driver initialization process, the driver must set the features for the drive, including dma and pio). Error set after issuing Set Feature command. Indicates a fatal problem. The driver's error bit was set after the set feature command was issued. (During the driver initialization process, the driver must set the features for the drive, including dma and pio). Interrupt not seen after set_features. Indicates a fatal problem with the drive. Features cannot be set. ata_controller - set features failed. Indicates a fatal problem with the drive. Features cannot be set. ? target <number> lun 0. Displayed at boot up time to indicate that the target <number> was identified, where <number> is a decimal value. resid Residual number of bytes in data transfer and the I/O operation could not be finished completely. ghd_timer_newstate: HBA reset failed. Generally indicates a fatal condition. I/O operation cannot be completed following reset of the channel. timeout: <message> chno =<number> target=<number>. A timeout occured because of <message> on device (target=<number>) on channel (chno =<number). Where <message> could be either early abort, early timeout, abort request, abort device, reset target or reset bus. ata_controller - Drive not ready before command <number>. The drive did not respond before issuing the command <number> to the controller; command <number> will not be issued to the drive. (<number> is the hexadecimal opcode for the sleep or standby commands, which are issued when the drive transitions between power man- agement states). ATAPI drive reset failed for target: <number>;Continuing the recovery process. If this message is displayed after you modify /kernel/drv/uata.conf, try to increase the atapi-device-reset-waittime property value within the maximum value allowed, otherwise contact Sun support. ata_controller - Command <number> failed. Command <number> failed on the drive. (<number> is the hexadecimal opcode for the sleep or standby commands, which are issued when the drive transitions between power management states). ata_controller - Command <number> returned error. The command returned an error. (<number> is the hexadecimal opcode for the sleep or standby commands, which are issued when the drive transitions between power management states). ata_controller - Cannot take drive <number> to sleep. The disk will not transition to sleep state. (Indicates that the driver could not set the device to sleep mode while performing power management functions). ata_controller - Cannot reset secondary/primary channel. The disk will not transition from sleep to active state. ata_controller - Unsupported Controller Vendor 0x13d0, Device 0x43f1, Revision 0x034. An unsupported ata controller was found on the system and prints <ID>, device id and revision of the controller, where <ID> represents the hexidecimal vendor ID. Changing the mode of targ: <number> to Ultra DMA mode: <number>. For the timedout command, the driver attempts to recover by changing speed to lower values and retrying the command. This message indi- cates to which mode the driver is attempting to re-program the drive, where <number> is a decimal value. Changing the mode of targ: <number> to Multi DMA mode: <number>. For the timedout command, the driver attempts to recover by changing speed to lower values and retrying the command. This message indi- cates to which mode the driver is attempting to re-program the drive, where <number> is a decimal value. These messages are informational and indicate that a timeout occured for a I/O request. The uata driver recovers from these states auto- matically unless there is a fatal error. 20 April 2005 uata(7D)