Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: More on Write & Talk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers More on Write & Talk Post 26973 by ssbrady on Monday 26th of August 2002 04:31:19 PM
Old 08-26-2002
Power

Ok, so there is obviously something that I am not understanding. I have tried everything I could think of, but I still can't talk or write. Let me explain what I have done, then maybe someone out there can tell me how they would set it all up.

1. Red Hat 7.3 installed as a server on one computer.
2. Red Hat 7.3 installed as a workstation on another computer.
3. Both running xinetd, ssh, and talkd.
4. IP addresses assigned via DHCP from an NT Server.
5. Also running SMB, NFS, and Apache.

Do I have to do something special on the server computer to accept logins from the workstation?

If someone could describe a theoretical setup I would be extremely grateful.

SAB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using write & talk

I am new to Unix/Linux, and I have been experimenting with the write and talk commands. I guess I don't understand what I am doing (probably becuase I am thinking like a Windows user). When I have two computers on the same network and type something like talk tim where tim is the name of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssbrady
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need info:"talk,write and wall"

hi nu 2 this forum., can any one tell me how to 'talk' to a person on other system who is connected in a network(LAN) via terminal....... and when to use wall,write and talk.. regards leenus :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.anilbabu
1 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with read & write

Hello mates: I met problem with using read() & write(). I m trying to use read twice on client first time is the size of buffer, 2nd time is the buffer. I think I have to, coz I dnot know file size. So, I write twice on server as well -- 1st, filesize; 2nd, buffer. The problem is, sometimes,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: EltonSky
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a script & sum contents!PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone!! I have to write a script in unix that reads a file which is in the format: 1%blabla%30 2%blabla2%50 1%blabla3%40 2%blabla4%10 and produce the total quantities of 1 and 2: "1 = 70 2 = 60" I am taught basic unix commands, so I must keep it simple, how can i do this using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: questionmaker25
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi, write something then try to save & quit.

If I'm in Vi, write something then try to save & quit. :wq I get: "myvifile" "myvifile" E212: Can't open file for writing Press ENTER or type command to continue It won't let me save... Is it because other users on the network have access to the file also? Or I don't have permission to save? Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JudoMan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write If statement using && and operator in Unix

Hi What is the syntax for if statement using && and || operator? if && ] || here its giving me an error to this if statement any suggestion?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN and read & write function

How to use MAN to find information about read() and write() function ? The command "man read" show some rubbish, for example "man open" show great information about function I need. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
2 Replies
RHN_CHECK(8)							   Red Hat, Inc.						      RHN_CHECK(8)

NAME
rhn_check - Check for and execute queued actions on RHN. SYNOPSIS
rhn_check [options] DESCRIPTION
rhn_check is a client program that connects to "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic" and receives queued actions for this particular system. After receiving the actions, rhn_check will then process them, and return the results to Spacewalk. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Increase the debugging output. --proxy=PROXY Specify an http proxy to use. --proxyUser=PROXYUSER Specify a username to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyPassword. --proxyPassword=PROXYPASSWORD Specify a password to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyUser. --version Show the program's version number and exit. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". This file does not exist otherwise. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by RHN client programs. SEE ALSO
rhn_register(8), rhnreg_ks(8), rhnsd(8), rhn-profile-sync(8), rhnplugin(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2010 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2010 August 30 RHN_CHECK(8)