Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Booting Slackware 8.1
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Booting Slackware 8.1 Post 26072 by J.P on Sunday 11th of August 2002 09:11:45 AM
Old 08-11-2002
I'll try answering these questions but I don't consider myself an expert user, rather an intermediate, so don't trust me blindly Smilie

1) There's obvously a problem in how you've setup your partitions...

Quote:
with this df does this means my linux extended hda2 is not even being used?? its 400mb and I would like to put it to good use.
First, your hda5 is a logical partition which resides WITHIN hda2, an extended partition. But somehow your logical partition is bigger than your extended...
It's like putting eight apples inside a box which can only hold three Smilie
A more correct use of an extended partition might look like this example:
hda2 10 GB Extended
hda5 2 GB Linux
hda6 5 GB Linux
hda7 3 GB Linux

2GB + 5GB + 3GB = 10GB

You don't use 2+5+3+10=20GB of your hard drive, only 10GB.

Second of all, you only need to make you root partition (/) bootable. In your case that's hda5, and not hda2 or the hda1 (swap) partition.

This may be why LILO freaks out.

Quote:
boot = /dev/hda (I had hda5 here but that didn't work either)
Yes, it should be /dev/hda

Quote:
image=/dd/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
label=2.4.2
root=current
append="reboot=warm"
Is the location of your kernel image really in the /dd/boot/ directory ?

Quote:
Ohh yeah one last thing. The motd file how do I make it so it doesn't reset itself on bootup?!?!
Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.S . Look for something along this line:

echo "..." > /etc/motd

Delete the text inside the quotes and change it whatever you want. Alternatively delete the whole line itself and edit the motd-file. That way it will not change the contents of /etc/motd upon reboot.

If I were you I would do a reinstall, it seems like things got pretty messed right from the beginning. Smilie

Good luck

/J.P

Last edited by J.P; 08-11-2002 at 10:18 AM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

DNS on Slackware

Hi. I'm glad join the unix.com forums. Here is my first problem: I've installed Slackware 13 on my PC and configured the IP, Mask and the default gateway. But now I cannot edit the resolv.conf correctly. Can you give me an example with DNS servers like 4.4.4.2 ; 4.4.4.4 ; 8.8.4.4 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelfan
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

3. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies
WREN(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   WREN(3)

NAME
wren, ata - hard disk interface SYNOPSIS
bind #H[drive] /dev bind #w[target[.lun]] /dev /dev/hd0disk /dev/hd0partition /dev/sd0disk /dev/sd0partition ... DESCRIPTION
The hard disk interfaces (wren, #w, is a SCSI disk; ata, #H, is an IDE or ATA disk) serve a one-level directory giving access to the hard disk partitions. The parameter to attach defines the numerical SCSI target and logical unit number or the IDE drive number to access. Both default to zero. Each partition name is prefixed by hd and the numeric drive identifier. The partition always exists and covers the entire disk. The size of each partition as reported by stat(2) is the number of bytes in the partition, so the size of is the size of the entire disk. The partition also always exists; it is the last block on the disk for SCSI, second to last for IDE. If it contains valid partition data, those partitions will be visible as well. Every time the device is bound, the partitions are updated to reflect any changes in the parti- tion file. The format of the partition file is the string plan9 partitions on a line, followed by partition specifications, one per line, consisting of a name and textual strings for the block start and limit for each partition on the disk. The program prep(8) writes the partition table for the disk; its use is preferred to writing it by hand. SEE ALSO
prep(8), scsi(3) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devwren.c /sys/src/9/pc/devata.c WREN(3)