Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: spaceing in an shell alias
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting spaceing in an shell alias Post 24590 by RTM on Monday 15th of July 2002 12:44:19 PM
Old 07-15-2002
It has two (actually three) but did not post here correctly.

It did work using the quotes around the variable when doing the echo.

What shell are you using? I tried this in sh, ksh, and csh. All worked the same in the output (set list = instead of list= in csh).

Are you testing this from a prompt using the example given? What OS are you using (worked the same on Solaris and HP-UX for me)?

And if you look at your example, you didn't post that you tried this. You spoke of trying it on the variable assignment, not when reading the variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl + pack() + spaceing question

ok guys and gals at the moment i am perplexed (prolly cuz i been looking at it to long) but here it is. OS: sol8 perlver: 5.8.0 shell: ksh answer must be in perl!! issue: when i use pack() it packs the data at the front of the requested field space. normally it wouldnt be a problem if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script If I type in the alias in the command line, it runs If I insert that same alias into my shell script and run the shell script, the alias is not invoked. Help please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techshots
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Missing alias definitions after involve another shell

I setup alias on my .bash_profile. It works very will until I did another sh on command prompt. I typed alias on new shell and all the definitions did not carry over. How to correct this? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangzosen
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias in bash shell for CTRL + l

Is it possible to create an alias wherein it will use a keystroke. Like to clear the screen in bash i have to use CTRL + l. I want to make an alias 'c' out of this. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: or_knob
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global alias does not work in shell script

Hi Linux Set up - alias ls='ls -l' Then run script #! /bin/ksh sub() { ls } sub Is there any way to get it working. I don't want to define alias inside of the program Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

6. AIX

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias to a shell script - tablespace size

I have developed the following shell script. The idea was to create an alias to execute it and return the tablespaces and their sizes from an oracle database. When I execute is via the alias, I have issues. So, here is the script first: > cat ts_size.sh #!/bin/ksh xwhere=" " xwild=" "... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: desibabu
8 Replies

9. AIX

Alias Command in Bourne Shell

Hi My Unix sever is AIX 5.3. My Login shell ( using echo $SHELL) is /bin/sh implying it is a Bourne Shell. My Question is that i am still able to use Alias command to create/retrieve aliases. I have read in several sites on Unix online that the Bourne Shell does not support Aliases but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Alias is not working under Bourne Shell

Hi, Please assist me why HC alias is not working under this shell? root@singapore # grep HC /.profile alias HC='cd /var/tmp/HC/2015/`date +%B`' root@singapore # . /.profile Sourcing //.profile-EIS..... root@singapore # echo $HC root@singapore # HC HC: not found root@singapore # echo... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprabhu1983
18 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)