Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: core file decoder needed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers core file decoder needed Post 24121 by Perderabo on Friday 5th of July 2002 08:25:53 AM
Old 07-05-2002
On HP-UX 10.20 the "file" command can tell you a little bit about the core file:
> file core
core: core file from 'sleep' - received SIGQUIT

That is the output I get from a core file that I intentionally created. And it's right, I did a "sleep 500" and then I sent a quit signal to the process.

To take it further, I would need to use a debugger. Usually that implies that the program needed to be built in a special way to enable the use of a particular debugger.

I could always do something like:
adb /usr/bin/sleep core
but this will be very rough since the sleep program has been stripped. adb, like all debuggers, is an interactive program. Knowing how to use it will require a lot of assembly language knowledge.

A core file is (basicly) the data and stack segments of the process. You can use programs like "strings" and "od" on it if you're looking for something in particular.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

fresh approach needed for connecting to Internet on Fedora Core 5 (or 7)

I have been hunting about the internet for a while not trying to find a way to connect to the internet via WiFi with Fedora Core 5 with no luck however. I have a Netgear ADSL2+ DGB111G Router and a matching USB WiFi card (came packaged together). I have it up and running on WinXP Home SP2 fine,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crmpicco
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to delete core file (file created due to apps crashed)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: When looking for corefiles, include any file with core in its name. (Some UNIX/Linux systems add the PID of the process that created the core to reduce the chances of overwriting an already existing core file that might be needed. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
6 Replies

4. Programming

ASN.1 Decoder UNIX Code

Kindly help i need to write a code for Decode/Compile the ASN.1 which is found in javascript or C language if any got a final working Code:D (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
16 Replies

5. Programming

ASN.1 decoder

Hi All, I am fairly new to this so please forgive me, Currently I have an ASN.1 which I would like the ability to load this to my work server in order to enter a string of output decode and display the output. There are methods online as shown on ASN.1 JavaScript decoder however I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
3 Replies
SMPTETime(3)							    libltcsmpte 						      SMPTETime(3)

NAME
SMPTETime - Human readable time representation. SYNOPSIS
#include <ltcsmpte.h> Data Fields char timezone [6] unsigned char years unsigned char months unsigned char days unsigned char hours unsigned char mins unsigned char secs unsigned char frame Detailed Description Human readable time representation. Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 179 of file ltcsmpte.h. Field Documentation unsigned char SMPTETime::days Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 184 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::frame Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 189 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::hours Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 186 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::mins Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 187 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::months Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 183 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::secs Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 188 of file ltcsmpte.h. char SMPTETime::timezone[6] Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 181 of file ltcsmpte.h. unsigned char SMPTETime::years Examples: tests/decoder.c, and tests/encoder.c. Definition at line 182 of file ltcsmpte.h. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libltcsmpte from the source code. Version 0.4.4 Fri Apr 27 2012 SMPTETime(3)