Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ending Mail
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ending Mail Post 2409 by Peterh on Friday 11th of May 2001 03:26:56 AM
Old 05-11-2001
The problem was to stop the mail deamon. because I didn't want a dead process. Since this is sent every night I was worried that it could interfer with my daily backups. But I found out that after 2 minutes the mail deamin logs out. So my problem is solved.

Just for info. "last username" is not a file. It shows the login history of the user. It give's a output. And this display output I wanted to send to a user. The "last" command can use by all users.

Thanks

From the man from germany

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File- Ending

Hi folks! I'm new in this forum and in the UNIX-world too!! I've got a real problem: I have to read out datas like name and e-mail-adress from a Windows- Server from the active directory and put this information into a file. This file should be moved (or copied) on a Unix- Server... But I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spikylina
3 Replies

2. Programming

executables ending with *

Hi All, I m very new to unix. I have a basic doubt .. In unix I m seeing that there is a * at the end of by executable name (exe1*).. Wht is the significance of that Thanks a lot in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

never ending loop

Guys I have a script like the one below. One script executes another script in a loop. but i want the other script within the main script to be executed only 3 times. the script within the main script again references the main script after its execution. plz help. while } ] do... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
21 Replies

4. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ending a script

Hi all, I am trying to end a Menu script. Can people suggest various methods please? At the moment I am doing: quit=n while do ...Code Code Code... read userinput case $userinput in q|Q) quit=y;; esac done But this doesn't seem to work every time, occasionally it will work,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
6 Replies

6. SCO

File name ending with @

Hi Current SCO Unix 5.05 I see that there are filenames with @ at the end of file name for example in the /usr/lib there is file lpadmin@ what does the @ represent when it is at the end of the file name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If loop not ending

Hi, The first if loop in the script not ending and going to infinite loop. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -vx lc=1 st_date=$(date "+%Y%m%d") LOGFILE=/home/infa_shared/OM_ftp_transfer.log.$st_date file="/home/infa_shared/OM_WF.log.$st_date" while ]; do if ] then sleep 15 let lc=lc+1 print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
finger(1)							   User Commands							 finger(1)

NAME
finger - display information about local and remote users SYNOPSIS
finger [-bfhilmpqsw] [username]... finger [-l] [username@hostname 1 [@hostname 2 .. .@hostname n]...] finger [-l] [@hostname 1 [@hostname 2 .. .@hostname n]...] DESCRIPTION
By default, the finger command displays in multi-column format the following information about each logged-in user: o user name o user's full name o terminal name (prepended with a `*' (asterisk) if write-permission is denied) o idle time o login time o host name, if logged in remotely Idle time is in minutes if it is a single integer, in hours and minutes if a `:' (colon) is present, or in days and hours if a `d' is present. When one or more username arguments are given, more detailed information is given for each username specified, whether they are logged in or not. username must be that of a local user, and may be a first or last name, or an account name. Information is presented in multi-line format as follows: o the user name and the user's full name o the user's home directory and login shell o time the user logged in if currently logged in, or the time the user last logged in; and the terminal or host from which the user logged in o last time the user received mail, and the last time the user read mail o the first line of the $HOME/.project file, if it exists o the contents of the $HOME/.plan file, if it exists Note: when the comment (GECOS) field in /etc/passwd includes a comma, finger does not display the information following the comma. If the arguments username@hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] or @hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] are used, the request is sent first to hostnamen and forwarded through each hostnamen-1 to hostname1. The program uses the finger user information protocol (see RFC 1288) to query that remote host for information about the named user (if username is specified), or about each logged-in user. The information dis- played is server dependent. As required by RFC 1288, finger passes only printable, 7-bit ASCII data. This behavior may be modified by a system administrator by using the PASS option in /etc/default/finger. Specifying PASS=low allows all characters less than decimal 32 ASCII. Specifying PASS=high allows all characters greater than decimal 126 ASCII. PASS=low,high or PASS=high,low allows both characters less than 32 and greater than 126 to pass through. OPTIONS
The following options are supported, except that the username@hostname form supports only the -l option: -b Suppresses printing the user's home directory and shell in a long format printout. -f Suppresses printing the header that is normally printed in a non-long format printout. -h Suppresses printing of the .project file in a long format printout. -i Forces "idle" output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, login time, and idle time are printed. -l Forces long output format. -m Matches arguments only on user name (not first or last name). -p Suppresses printing of the .plan file in a long format printout. -q Forces quick output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, and login time are printed. -s Forces short output format. -w Suppresses printing the full name in a short format printout. FILES
$HOME/.plan user's plan $HOME/.project user's projects /etc/default/finger finger options file /etc/passwd password file /var/adm/lastlog time of last login /var/adm/utmpx accounting ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), who(1), whois(1), passwd(4), attributes(5) Zimmerman, D., The Finger User Information Protocol, RFC 1288, Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS), Rutgers University, December 1991. NOTES
The finger user information protocol limits the options that may be used with the remote form of this command. SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2000 finger(1)