Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users VI hogging system resources??? Post 23250 by ThePreacher on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 02:05:37 PM
Old 06-19-2002
Java VI hogging system resources???

Hello all. I was on my pc last night when I noticed that my hard drive light was on and when I typed in "uptime" I recieved some crazy load averages. load average: 3.30, 3.07, 2.95. Anyway I type in "top" to see what processes are being the resource hogs and im surprised as hell to see that one copy of vi is using 49% of system resources, while another one is using 44%. I typed in "kill pid", but it wouldnt work on the runaway processes, and I had to "kill -9 pid" them. Anyone ever had a similar problem? Right now everything is back to normal.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Resources?

I am running a C program on a SCO box. There are multiple users on using the system resources. My problem is when using fprintfs in the program. I am writing to a log every thing I read in from a file after doing some formatting. I write out to the log with the fprintfs in groupings like 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwolfe
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for utility to monitor system resources

Hi Community, I'm looking for a linux based utility for monitoring following system resources 1. Memory 2. CPU Usage I know there are plenty freewares which poll the data and print in form of html pages. For eg. MRTG, Novel's Linux Monitoring tools etc. But my requirement is deviated a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilgurwara
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Xorg is taking System Resources.

Hi All, I am facing System Speed problem.i saw in top command Xorg process was taking most of the time 20% of CPU and Memory.How to make it normal. Currently i am using AMD Athlon 64 HT technology processor(Socket 939) 512 DDR1 RAM Nvidia 5200 GeForce 128 MB Graphic card. i need help in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
2 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD