Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL question Post 23142 by frank on Monday 17th of June 2002 06:02:50 PM
Old 06-17-2002
PERL question

Could someone tell me what is wrong with these PERL statements

it is always setting the $status2 to the number inside of the brackets......why????????

if (/^Status:/)
{
$stat = $Fld[2];
print "\$stat is $stat\n";
}

the above is where i'm searching for a string inside of a file

if($stat == 'Sent')
{
$status2=2;
}

print "\$status2 is $status2\n";

if($stat == 'Send')
{
$status2=1;
}

print "\$status2 is $status2\n";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Hello, pkzipc of a certain zip file yeilds the following in shell PKZIP(R) Version 6.0 FAST! Compression Utility for AIX Copyright 1989-2002 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered Version PKZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off. Patent No. 5,051,745 Viewing .ZIP: test.zip Length... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I copy and paste from the book but this thing is not working. I cannot figure out what is wrong with myline 9.. can someone please tell me # cat ./sort4.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $input = shift; my $output = shift; open(IN, '<', $input) or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question regarding [ ]

Below program, I do not get why item I am looking for is , instead of . When I do $#text, i get the right value for $value1, but when I do , i get somsething4, instead of somsethingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(which is what I am looking for. when I do , I get empty.. why? what did I do wrong? can you... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I fail to see how below answer is 1? can someone explain this for me? DB<3> $string = "The cat sat on the mat"; DB<4> $animal = ($string =~ m/The (.*) sat/); DB<5> print $animal; 1 (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I have a question regarding bulding a hash from a file which has below pattern I thought I could write something like this but clearly my syntax is way off $/ = "\n\n"; $" = "\n"; open(FILE, file1) || die; my %keymaster = ( ); while (<FILE>) { my $topinfo =~... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question ...

I am reading a file in perl script .. during the debug the $linein value is : linein : +ASM1,sys,||¬ |3Æqúoü;”ט|| from this line I am getting the tmepuser and password from above : ($tmpuser, $pwd) = ($linein =~ /^$server\s*,\s*(+)\s*,\|\|(.+)\|\|/sm); I am getting $tmpuser and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question about

Hello everybody, I am new at the forum and a total newbie when it comes to Unix. I am trying to see how I can add the ability to kill a user's processes? I want to add this to my Shel Script Add the code/process into a subroutine. Also, I would like to use an array to store the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinelisch
0 Replies
STAT(2) 							System Calls Manual							   STAT(2)

NAME
stat, fstat - get file status SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> stat(name, buf) char *name; struct stat *buf; fstat(fildes, buf) struct stat *buf; DESCRIPTION
Stat obtains detailed information about a named file. Fstat obtains the same information about an open file known by the file descriptor from a successful open, creat, dup or pipe(2) call. Name points to a null-terminated string naming a file; buf is the address of a buffer into which information is placed concerning the file. It is unnecessary to have any permissions at all with respect to the file, but all directories leading to the file must be searchable. The layout of the structure pointed to by buf as defined in <stat.h> is given below. St_mode is encoded according to the `#define' statements. The mode bits 0000070 and 0000007 encode group and others permissions (see chmod(2)). The defined types, ino_t, off_t, time_t, name vari- ous width integer values; dev_t encodes major and minor device numbers; their exact definitions are in the include file <sys/types.h> (see types(5). When fildes is associated with a pipe, fstat reports an ordinary file with restricted permissions. The size is the number of bytes queued in the pipe. st_atime is the file was last read. For reasons of efficiency, it is not set when a directory is searched, although this would be more logical. st_mtime is the time the file was last written or created. It is not set by changes of owner, group, link count, or mode. st_ctime is set both both by writing and changing the i-node. SEE ALSO
ls(1), filsys(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if a status is available; -1 if the file cannot be found. ASSEMBLER
(stat = 18.) sys stat; name; buf (fstat = 28.) (file descriptor in r0) sys fstat; buf STAT(2)