Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MD5 to DES encryption
Special Forums Cybersecurity MD5 to DES encryption Post 23025 by PxT on Friday 14th of June 2002 03:50:16 PM
Old 06-14-2002
Remove the line from /etc/passwd and re-create it using your new process? You don't have to delete any of their files (just be sure to use the same UID)

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

DES Encryption

Hello I'm writing a program to "lock" my computer while in X-mode (sort of my own version of xlock). I've written the basic stuff.. but now I need encrypt the entered password, and compare it to the encrypted password in the /etc/shadow-file.. I looked in the man-pages for 'des', but I'm a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
4 Replies

2. Solaris

md5 encryption on solaris 8

is there patches enable passwords of greater than 8 characters with only md5 encryption (rather than the older crypt) for solaris 8. I am migrating a number of solaris 8 domains to branded zones. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Need to disable CBC mode cipher encryption along with MD5 & 96 bit MAC algorithm

Hi All Is any one know how to diable CBC mode cipher encryption along with MD5 & 96 bit MAC algorithm in solaris 10. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 MD5 encryption support

Hi, I did some NIS migration tests recently. The target is to migrate the NIS server from Solaris 8 to Redhat Linux 6.5. And, I found there are encryption issues while Linux NIS using MD5 hashing password for authentication whereas Solaris 8 clients using DES encryption. It causes issues... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
3 Replies
vipw(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   vipw(8)

NAME
vipw - Edits the /etc/passwd file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/vipw DESCRIPTION
You use the vipw command to edit the /etc/passwd file with the editor defined in the EDITOR environment variable. If the variable is not set, the default editor is vi. The vipw command performs basic consistency checks on the edited file. If a hashed indexed passwd existed previously, the vipw command uses the mkpasswd command to create recreate it. The command must not be used on systems that use extended security attributes since it cannot set or change them. You must be root to run this command. Only root and security administrators should have execute access to this command. Since the vipw command cannot effectively change all the attributes of users, it should not be used in a secure environment. The vipw command accesses the following files, and requires the listed permissions: ------------------------------ Permissions File ------------------------------ rw /etc/passwd rw /etc/passwd.pag rw /etc/passwd.dir rw /etc/ptmp rw /etc/ptmp.pag rw /etc/ptmp.dir ------------------------------ EXAMPLE
To edit the /etc/passwd file, type the following command and add the required line entry: vipw FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: passwd(1), passwd(4), adduser(8), mkpasswd(8) delim off vipw(8)