Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening ssh port
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening ssh port Post 22444 by gasaraki99 on Tuesday 4th of June 2002 05:01:19 AM
Old 06-04-2002
opening ssh port

I've got openssh installed but when i try to ssh to my machine i get a "port 22: connection refused" message.

Do I need to add something to the hosts.allow file to allow ssh access in?

I'm running Mandrake 8.1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OPening A Port

My mail went down and the company told me to open port 110 on my server. How do I do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening port

i need to open port 1470. how do i do this. whats the command. This is on a solaris box. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

ssh-ing to port 80.

i am using redhat 8.0 and trying to connect to my local port 80 to run some HTTP. i know this can easily be done with telnet localhost 80, however telnet is not running, ssh is. ssh localhost -p 80 gives me a "Connection refused" error. i've been trying to find out more information on the web,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
3 Replies

4. AIX

Problem opening port 9998

Hi there, I have been trying to open port 9998 on an AIX 5.1 box to no avail. This machine is not connected to the internet and I have only been accessing it locally, so I know it's not a network firewall/proxy issue. I have tried editing /etc/services and inetd.conf, refreshing inetd.conf, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erica057
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a port on HPUX 11

7 I need to connect to a Unidata database using rpc on a HPUX 11 unix machine. The rpc software on Unidata uses port 31438 which does not appear to be available. How can I check the status of this port and activate it for tcp use? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkyBlue
0 Replies

6. Programming

Opening a TCPIP Port with UNIX C

i am new to UNIX and C (primarilly a JDE and AS400/RPG developer). However, I need to find a way to send data to and from a web service from within a UNIX C program. What i would like to be able to do is to receive in a block of XML (from a non C application), wrap it, and then open a TCPIP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveBarber
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Opening and Closing Shares via ssh

Might anyone have an idea on how to mount an xserve share via ssh, then close the share connection? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

SSH Port Forwarding - sharing the same port

Hi Linux/Unix Guru, I am setting Linux Hopping Station to another different servers. My current config to connect to another servers is using different port to connect. e.g ssh -D 1080 -p 22 username@server1.com ssh -D 1081 -p 22 username@server2.com Now what I would like to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening different UNIX ssh clients simentously

Hi Team , Please advise is thee any ssh terminal open source software by which I can watch all the 4 unix boxes at same time and whatever i will type will get printed on all the 4 different unix boxes at the same time for example one i know is Moba Xterm ssh client software I have share the url... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuntun06060606
1 Replies
SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)				      General Commands Manual					 SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)

NAME
ssh-askpass-fullscreen - A simple replacement for ssh-askpass written with gtk2 SYNOPSIS
ssh-askpass-fullscreen DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gnome-ssh-askpass is a GNOME-based passphrase dialog for use with OpenSSH. It is intended to be called by the ssh-add(1) program and not invoked directly. It allows ssh-add(1) to obtain a passphrase from a user, even if not connected to a terminal (assuming that an X display is available). This happens auto-matically in the case where ssh-add is invoked from one's ~/.xsession or as one of the GNOME startup pro- grams, for example. In order to be called automatically by ssh-add, ssh-askpass-fullscreen should be installed as /usr/bin/ssh-askpass ssh-askpass-fullscreen is a program that... ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables are recognized: GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_SERVER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the X server before asking for a passphrase. GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_POINTER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the mouse pointer will be grabbed too. These may have some benefit to security if you don't trust your X server. Keyboard is always grabbed. SEE ALSO ssh-add(1), ssh-askpass(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Marco Presi (Zufus) <zufus@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others) and it is based on that for x11-ssh-askpass by Philip Hands and the one for gnome-ssh-askpass by Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> May 8 , 2004 SSH-ASKPASS-FULLSCREEN(1)