Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: restricted mode (solaris 8)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restricted mode (solaris 8) Post 20736 by xNYx on Thursday 2nd of May 2002 04:21:55 PM
Old 05-02-2002
I have a ultra 10 and it is running version 3.xx

when i hit stop+a it goes straight to the ok> prompt
that is th forth mode.

i'm studying for my scsa part 1

and i'm a little confuse about the restricted mode (old mode ">")
is ">" only supported with old sparc station running 2.xx open boot prom.

version 3.xx doesn't support ">"?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris forth mode?

hi i have a headless ultra 10 server running obp 3.29 i connect to the sever via telnet and i was wondering what is the command inorder to get to the forth mode from a telnet session? is it even possible to get to the ok prompt from telnet or do i need a serial connection? many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 10 not resuming from power save mode.

Dear Frnz, i have a ultra 45 with solaris 10 installed. I face a weird issue in that. once the machine goes to power save mode i am not able to bring the machine back by hitting the keys in keyboard or moving the mouse. I am able to rsh the machine from another machine. To bring the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris in GUI mode

Hi we work on solaris machines and access them in Command line mode using telnet services. Can they be accessed in GUI mode. If yes please advice as I have came to know that Solaris 9.0 supports GUI mode also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sukhvinder_Tm
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 5.6 single user mode

Hi We are performing a level 0 dump of our server having Solaris 5.6 . I wanted to be sure about taking the server to single user and multi user mode on solaris server. single user mode : init 1 multiuser mode (restart) : init 6 is the above procedure correct for solaris... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
4 Replies

5. Solaris

SOLARIS 10 on SPARC Graphical mode?

Hi, I am in single user mode in command prompt. How can i switch to graphical mode. Is there any command like StartX or WindowsX? Regards Skbrunel (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skbrunel
3 Replies

6. Solaris

how to enable GUI mode in solaris

I just installed Solaris 10 in my pc with dafault installtion. When I tried login to it first time , it took me directly to console mode When issuing the command svcs it didn't returned any fmri related to gui. find the attached snapshot for the list of fmri. Installing the fmri ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Hi , I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min. I have a remote access so that I can access the server from my home too. By the time I go back to my room, it is going to sleep mode so I could see nothing but a black screen. Is there any option to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhag
3 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH in maintainance mode in solaris 10

svc:/network/ssh:default (SSH server) State: maintenance since Fri Jan 27 14:19:58 2012 Reason: Start method failed repeatedly, last exited with status 255. See: URL See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M sshd See: /var/svc/log/network-ssh:default.log Impact: This service is not running.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinathk
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

set ksh script in restricted mode

Hi, I came across a post wherein you can use "set -r"(on bash) to activate restricted mode ( wherein you cant run some commands such as cd etc). Can anyone guide if we have anything similar in ksh ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies
CHROOTUID(1)						      General Commands Manual						      CHROOTUID(1)

NAME
chrootuid - run command in restricted environment SYNOPSIS
chrootuid [-i] newroot newuser command... DESCRIPTION
The chrootuid command sets up a restricted environment for executing command. Access to the file system is restricted to the newroot sub- tree; privileges are restricted to those of the newuser account (which must be a known account in the unrestricted environment). The ini- tial working directory is changed to newroot. chrootuid combines chroot(8) and su(1) into one program, so that there is no need to have commands such as /usr/bin/su in the restricted environment. Only the superuser can use the chrootuid command. OPTIONS
There is only one option for chrootuid: -i. That option makes it run in interactive mode. Errors will be printed on stderr instead of through syslog and the exit status will be 1 if there are any errors. RETURN CODES
The exit status of chrootuid when running on daemon mode (default) is always 0. If it is running on interactive mode, it will exit with an exit status of 1 if there is any error in its invocation, otherwise the exit status is the exit status of command. DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to the syslog daemon if running on daemon mode. If running on interactive mode, errors are reported on stderr. SEE ALSO
chroot(8), su(1) AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema Eindhoven University of Technology Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Den Dolech 2, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA CREATION DATE
Tue Oct 13 11:37:29 MET 1992 LAST MODIFICATION
Mon May 20 22:49:02 CEST 2007 VERSION
/RELEASE 1.3 CHROOTUID(1)