Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: restricted mode (solaris 8)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restricted mode (solaris 8) Post 20732 by hugo_perez on Thursday 2nd of May 2002 03:47:03 PM
Old 05-02-2002
Please, paste the output of:
ok> .version

Is available the old-mode ?

ok> old-mode

you want to go to the restricted mode for security concerns?

Regards. Hugo.

Note: FORTH mode.

Last edited by hugo_perez; 05-02-2002 at 04:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris forth mode?

hi i have a headless ultra 10 server running obp 3.29 i connect to the sever via telnet and i was wondering what is the command inorder to get to the forth mode from a telnet session? is it even possible to get to the ok prompt from telnet or do i need a serial connection? many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 10 not resuming from power save mode.

Dear Frnz, i have a ultra 45 with solaris 10 installed. I face a weird issue in that. once the machine goes to power save mode i am not able to bring the machine back by hitting the keys in keyboard or moving the mouse. I am able to rsh the machine from another machine. To bring the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris in GUI mode

Hi we work on solaris machines and access them in Command line mode using telnet services. Can they be accessed in GUI mode. If yes please advice as I have came to know that Solaris 9.0 supports GUI mode also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sukhvinder_Tm
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 5.6 single user mode

Hi We are performing a level 0 dump of our server having Solaris 5.6 . I wanted to be sure about taking the server to single user and multi user mode on solaris server. single user mode : init 1 multiuser mode (restart) : init 6 is the above procedure correct for solaris... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
4 Replies

5. Solaris

SOLARIS 10 on SPARC Graphical mode?

Hi, I am in single user mode in command prompt. How can i switch to graphical mode. Is there any command like StartX or WindowsX? Regards Skbrunel (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skbrunel
3 Replies

6. Solaris

how to enable GUI mode in solaris

I just installed Solaris 10 in my pc with dafault installtion. When I tried login to it first time , it took me directly to console mode When issuing the command svcs it didn't returned any fmri related to gui. find the attached snapshot for the list of fmri. Installing the fmri ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Hi , I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min. I have a remote access so that I can access the server from my home too. By the time I go back to my room, it is going to sleep mode so I could see nothing but a black screen. Is there any option to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhag
3 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH in maintainance mode in solaris 10

svc:/network/ssh:default (SSH server) State: maintenance since Fri Jan 27 14:19:58 2012 Reason: Start method failed repeatedly, last exited with status 255. See: URL See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M sshd See: /var/svc/log/network-ssh:default.log Impact: This service is not running.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinathk
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

set ksh script in restricted mode

Hi, I came across a post wherein you can use "set -r"(on bash) to activate restricted mode ( wherein you cant run some commands such as cd etc). Can anyone guide if we have anything similar in ksh ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies
BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)					       AFS Command Reference					      BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)

NAME
bos_setrestricted - place a server in restricted mode SYNOPSIS
bos setrestricted -server <machine name> -mode 1 [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The bos restricted command places the server in restricted mode. This mode increases the security of the bos server by removing access to a number of bos commands that are only used whilst configuring a system. When a server is in restricted mode, access to bos_exec, bos uninstall, bos install, bos create, bos install, bos delete, bos prune is denied, and the use of bos getlog is limited. CAUTIONS
Once a server has been placed in restricted mode, it may not be opened up again using a remote command. That is, bos setrestricted has no method of setting an unrestricted mode. Once a server is restricted, it can only be opened up again by sending it a SIGFPE, which must be done as root on the local machine. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine to restrict. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged in as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. As noted above, this command cannot be run against servers which are already in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
bos(8) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Simon Wilkinson for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)