Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: probe software
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers probe software Post 20500 by TioTony on Sunday 28th of April 2002 02:03:07 AM
Old 04-28-2002
showrev and pkginfo would be good commands to start with.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

PCI device probe and find

:confused: Hi, everybody. Pleeeeese HLP!!! I write PCI device driver for bridge controller PCI-VME bus in freeBSD 2.2. And firs run function probe(): static char* probe(tag, type). Whuy probe() don't work for my vendorID and deviceID (bridge controller and videoadapter). But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alex_T
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris booting to probe menu

Hi all, everytime the sun fire server reboots in always boots to the probe menu. This needs to be manually booted by command named boot. Is there a boot file somewhere on the system that changes the boot script to boot fully not to the probe menu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisca
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Help probe-scsi-all

I have run init 0 to bring it to OK prompt. I know that probe-scsi-all can hang the system. I want to know what is the difference between probe-scsi-all and probe-scsi. I was told that probe-scsi-all external and internal devices and probe-scsi shows only internal devices. what dose this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
3 Replies

4. Solaris

probe-scsi => error

i have a new netra 240 server when i make probe-scsi in obp i have this output : ERROR: /pci@1c,600000: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss am upgarading obp firmware but the problem is always here the os solaris 10) is installed correctely and i can use it , when i type #format i can see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

5. BSD

PROBE not find the device ID

Hi All, Probe is not returning the Device ID, while device (PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge) is already detected by "lspci". I checked this with printing all the device ID which has been detected. Can anyone give me any suggestion or solution. Thanks (in advance) Appu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu
2 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

What does the 'probe' do in VCS?

Weird question I know, but I'm intrigued. Say for instance you have an Application in an SG with the usual start/stop/monitor. To successfully probe does it just check for existence of the script/file ? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network probe script

Hi. I just wrote my first shell script, it's very ugly but it works. I was wondering if someone could help me clean it up a bit. Original Problem: Current command-line tool (FIND-NEIGHBORS.exe) outputs MAC addresses of neighboring wireless devices and I need the IP address instead;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeller
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network probe script

Hi. I just wrote my first shell script, it’s very ugly but it works. I was wondering if someone could help me clean it up a bit. Original Problem: Current command-line tool (FIND-NEIGHBORS.exe) outputs MAC addresses of neighboring wireless devices. I need the IP address instead;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeller
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Help Explain the output of probe-scsi

Can anyone explain the output of probe-scsi command below? ok probe-scsi Target 0 Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST373207LSUN72G 045A Target 1 Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST373207LSUN72G 045A I have no idea what it means. I tried to read online but I still did not understand. I appreciate... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
6 Replies
probe(9E)							Driver Entry Points							 probe(9E)

NAME
probe - determine if a non-self-identifying device is present SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/conf.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> static intprefixprobe(dev_info_t *dip); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). This entry point is required for non-self-identifying devices. You must write it for such devices. For self-identifying devices, nulldev(9F) should be specified in the dev_ops(9S) structure if a probe routine is not necessary. ARGUMENTS
dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. DESCRIPTION
probe() determines whether the device corresponding to dip actually exists and is a valid device for this driver. probe() is called after identify(9E) and before attach(9E) for a given dip. For example, the probe() routine can map the device registers using ddi_map_regs(9F) then attempt to access the hardware using ddi_peek(9F) or ddi_poke(9F) and determine if the device exists. Then the device registers should be unmapped using ddi_unmap_regs(9F). To probe a device that was left powered off after the last detach(), it might be necessary to power it up. If so, the driver must power up the device by accessing device registers directly. pm_raise_power(9F) will be not be available until attach(9E). The framework ensures that the ancestors of the node being probed and all relevant platform-specific power management hardware is at full power at the time that probe() is called. probe() should only probe the device. It should not change any software state and should not create any software state. Device initializa- tion should be done in attach(9E). For a self-identifying device, this entry point is not necessary. However, if a device exists in both self-identifying and non-self-iden- tifying forms, a probe() routine can be provided to simplify the driver. ddi_dev_is_sid(9F) can then be used to determine whether probe() needs to do any work. See ddi_dev_is_sid(9F) for an example. RETURN VALUES
"small and bold">DDI_PROIf_theCprobe was successful. DDI_PROBE_FAILURE If the probe failed. DDI_PROBE_DONTCARE If the probe was unsuccessful, yet attach(9E) should still be called. DDI_PROBE_PARTIAL If the instance is not present now, but may be present in the future. SEE ALSO
attach(9E), identify(9E), ddi_dev_is_sid(9F), ddi_map_regs(9F), ddi_peek(9F), ddi_poke(9F), nulldev(9F), dev_ops(9S) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 18 Nov 1992 probe(9E)