Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for by column and delete line Post 20300 by thudak on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 09:13:21 AM
Old 04-24-2002
Great thanks. I'll just have to evaluate the data to make sure I don't find that string in more than 1 place in a line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and delete a line

Folks, I have a set of list that contains file names. I want to search through each of the list and delete any file that is found in the list. eg. LIST_A contains: aaa bbb ccc ddd eeee LIST_B contains: aab aac adb aed assuming I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multile Pattern Search in a same line and delete

HI Gurus, I need to delete a line from a syslog file, if it matches three conditions. Say for ex., if the device name is device.name.com and if it contains the syslog message PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP in between the time period 00:00:00 to 04:00:00, then the particular line has to be deleted from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasree76
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search 2 lines and delete above line

Hi, I've been searching in this forum for the last 4 hours trying to do one thing: search 2 lines and delete the above line. So far I have not be able to find something similar in this forum, so I need help. This is what I'm trying to do. For example, I have a file called file1: file1 word1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamushamu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string and delete the line

Hi All, I have a file from Mainframe which has one of the lines with so many words... i tried to fold, format to 80 chararcter.. stil did not work. So i have decided to search for a string in that line Ex.FLIGHT PLAN and once if it is found i want to delete the entire line. Please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file column wise and delete it

i have a file which has a column that is unique i am intending to serach it and if it is there to remove the row. the file looks like ROLLNO,NAME ,SUB1,SUB2,SUB3,TOTAL,PERCENTAGE,RESULT 15 ,rig ,34 ,56 ,87 ,177 ,59 % ,PASS 23 ,wel ,45 ,76 ,56 ,177 ,59 % ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file column wise and delete it

Scottn, m really sorry but i have not got my answer yet. my concern is how to delete the row !!! i have a file which has a column that is unique i am intending to serach it and if it is there to remove the row. the file looks like ROLLNO,NAME ,SUB1,SUB2,SUB3,TOTAL,PERCENTAGE,RESULT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a line, delete a string in it

let me start out by saying i have ZERO exp with any kind of scripting, so sorry if this is really basic stuff..... For example, I need to have a script that will search a file and find this line in the file: *.cat;dog;kennel;house;barn;horse;hay;coat hat and remove the "coat" from the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: skunky
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search column and delete row if greater than value

Hi, as the title states i need to find a way to search a column for values great than 1000, and if it is, then delete that row. An example 1 7.021 6.967 116.019 4 U 6.980E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 0 0 0 2 8.292 7.908 118.063 3 U 1.440E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 821 814 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete blank line/s before and after a search pattern?

Hi, Test file x.txt below. This file is generated by a program that I unfortunately do not have control on how it gets presented/generated. create PACKAGE "XXX_INTERFACE_DEFECT_RPT_TEST" is TYPE refCursor IS REF CURSOR; Function queryRecords ( p_status varchar2, ... ... ... )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies
insdelln(3XCURSES)					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					insdelln(3XCURSES)

NAME
insdelln, winsdelln - insert/delete lines to/from the window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); PARAMETERS
n Is the number of lines to insert or delete (positive n inserts; negative n deletes). win Is a pointer to the window in which to insert or delete a line. DESCRIPTION
The insdelln() and winsdelln() functions insert or delete blank lines in stdscr or win, respectively. When n is positive, n lines are added before the current line and the bottom n lines are lost; when n is negative, n lines are deleted starting with the current line, the remaining lines are moved up, and the bottom n lines are cleared. The position of the cursor does not change. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
deleteln(3XCURSES), insertln(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 insdelln(3XCURSES)