Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backups
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Backups Post 20166 by thehoghunter on Monday 22nd of April 2002 03:54:33 PM
Old 04-22-2002
Please post the cron entry.

Does root get an email when there is a problem? If so, can you post that?

Can you post attachments? I don't know but I know I can't.
Post the script anyway.

I checked Sunsolve for "error fsf'ing tape" - nothing showed for that error. If you are doing some kind of calculation to figure out how many files (dumps) to skip forward, then it's possible:
1. Your calculation is off and you are going beyond the end of the tape
2. One of the dumps is failing in a way that doesn't show and that is throwing off how many dumps are actually on the tape.

I just want to make this clear - you wrote "These backups are incremental backups totalling anywhere from 2 to 10 GB (on 80 GB media). " Is this a total of 10GB or anywhere from 2 to 10 GB a piece for each dump? (meaning you could still be reaching your 80GB limit OR maybe a flag isn't set correctly - also insure your tapes ARE okay for 80GB).
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backups

When using hostdump.sh to backup a system I can do it fine. But how can I restore what I backuped up? :) Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX backups

hi, how do we go for the BACK UPS on the UNIX box,using DLT tapes.i need to back up the stuff on the DLT tape. pls HELP:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backups.

Hello everyone my ? is about backups. I'am running SCO OS 505 and currently backing up the hole HD. Well the back up is taking too long and this is becoming a problem for the users since we are a 24-7 bussines, I whant stop backing up every thing on the HD. What are the most important files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backups in background

Hi, how i can do background backup process in Unix?? I has Solaris Operating System. very much thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jairog
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backups

okay.. pple.. say now i got an aix box. of course i could restore a backup done in aix environment. 1) now how about doing a restore from sun, hp from the aix box.? 2) can we install a sun, hp os into an aix box? 3) if (1) prohibits, then how about doing an sun, hp os installation on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Backups too CD

I've been handed the task of backing up some of our system files on a Solaris box. No probs. Zipped the logs that needed backing up but my superiors do not want it on tape, they want it spanned on CD's. The CD-Writer is available on a MS box. FTP'd the zipped logs across too the MS Machine but now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mccrack_2003
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle 9i - Backups

Is there a way to backup an Oracle 9i database without the use of OEM and OMS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 6.1 Backups

Hello, I've got multiple AIX LPARs running on VIOS, within a blade environment. I need to dump a mksysb backup to backup rootvg and a couple of other volume groups. mksysb -i "destination"; works however I'd like to make sure its being done correctly. on the other volume groups, ive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backups using rsync

Hello all, I'm using nas4free as a SAN and am having troubles getting a backup of it's data to work properly. I've posted in the nas4free forums, but haven't received much help. Here is the code I'm using: #!/bin/sh {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpatino
1 Replies
RESTOR(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RESTOR(8)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restarting ). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(8) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the file system was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus mkfs /dev/hp0a 4807 restor r /dev/hp0a is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
/dev/rmt1 default file name rst* temporary files SEE ALSO
dump(8), dumpdir(8), mkfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a newline when the next tape has been mounted. Dump tapes made before the new ondisc directory structure will be converted automatically by restor . BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor does't use it. 3rd Berkeley Distribution RESTOR(8)