Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup problem---Again
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Backup problem---Again Post 19543 by lealyz on Friday 12th of April 2002 10:16:48 AM
Old 04-12-2002
off course i changed the "mydomainname" to my actual domain name, i just gave that to u for security reasons.

i am able to nslookup to hotmail, yahoo and the rest from my mailserver.

i really doubt if the problem is dns related.

I have descided to reinstall my mail software, in the course of doing so, i might loose my user mailboxes and other configuration files in the process. But i have backup to a certain extent.
What i need help on now is on performing a restore process. I have never done that. And also to hope that theproblem with backing up of my mailserver has to do with the mailservers inherent problem. Otherwise, a restore process may not work.

I wish we could chat, soo this conversation could flow at a faster rate.

I really need to get this server back up my tommorrow.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup problem

Hi all what may be the cause when i try to restore the backup (TAR) It's giving error tar block size =1 directory checksum error please suggest as soon as possible try n learn praful (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I tried backing up my mailserver on my nsrhost using solstice backup 5.5.1 software. After creating the usual custom settings, and starting the backup procedure using the group control button, backup initializes but the group backup becomes suspended. When i click on the details radio button in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 10.2 Backup Problem

We have an older HP Unix 10.20 system that we rarely ever use anymore. Most of our jobs on it are from 1994 to 2002. Anything after that is on Windows XP. The Unix system was backed up religiously every day. Because of space constraints some of the jobs were removed from the system after a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozzybear
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup script

Hi, Following is the script I made for backing up Cpanel server. ================================================ #! /bin/bash rsync -raopguzl --delete --exclude "*.tar.gz" --progress --delete-excluded root@$hostname:/$otherdir/$i/ /mnt/iscsi/$hostname/home/$i done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

problem in backup

Hi I am using Ubuntu back up program to the back up automatic. Problem is that recently the app start to fail. I get the following message: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1359, in <module> with_tempdir(main) File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1342,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Backup setting problem

the way that i use to backup my server is using the script below in ssh. mysqldump --opt -Q -u username -p password > /var/www/squiro/sql/database.sql but i want to set the server backup everyday at 1pm in same folder. is that set it in crontab-e? how to set it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mampwamp
3 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)