Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP 9000 runnig Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers HP 9000 runnig Unix Post 19407 by bstrin on Wednesday 10th of April 2002 08:57:24 PM
Old 04-10-2002
I tried to do what you Suggested I was able to get to the single user mode and to ru fsck all went well but the /dev/vg01/rminx460 could not open
As for the change of the root I did passwd it asks for the old password I entered it and it said SORRY.

So the system is still not operating.

The system is HPUX I don't know what version
The Minx System is an MRP system that runs in unix
it is an old system not used any longer.
Thanks for the help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

runnig squid at boot up

Hi Does any body know how i can run a program at bootup? I have squid (cache server) installed on my PC but after boot up i should run it manually but i want it to run automaticly is there a way? I used to do it by entering the address ina file but i've forgotten it now. But i remember that ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hessam
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UPS for HP-9000

Hello Everyone I run 4 HP 9000 servers with HP-UX 11.0 on all 4, with an Infomix Database. About 6 months ago one system starting acting real weird it will display the message that it lost power (which did not) and it would shutdown, Then roughly 30 seconds later it would then say power has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 9000 workstation configuring

Hi, I have an HP9000 rp7420 running 11.i. I managed to mess up the console and can no longer get it to act as the console. When resetting the MP it seems to works, and after booting partition I can telnet into the box. Can anyone direct me to configuring the console HP700/96 is the model.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukitus
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runnig Remote Shell

Please I need your help. I want to run remotely a unix shell that run a java process, from a Visual Basic Client. Thanks mac33 :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac33
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runnig a Windows command from UNIX

Hi, I need to execute a Windows command from UNIX crontab ( or similar utility). We are evaluating the schedular applications that will easily solve this issue although it will be a while by the time the tool selection happens and I need something to implement this solution in the iterim. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashpon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

runnig a perl program from a different dir..

hi, This is perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread in win2000advanced server,... i have all my perl programs in d drive.. i like to run perl programs from a different drive(ex : c drive..) that is simple in unix.. but i dont know how to do that in win.. do u know how to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

runnig script from window machine

i want to run a script from window machine the script is ksh for i in $(cat some.txt) do rm $i done exit i have it saved as a file say progremove & made it chmod 7777 how do i run this script from a window machine vie a batch file telnet -l username servername then what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjumma
2 Replies

8. Solaris

PSU info M4/5/8/9000

I need to find out PSU info for some M class severs, normally prtdiag -v show's the relevant PS info, however these M classes don't seem to go down to that level !? Anyone any ideas , no physical or console access available at this stage :( thx... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP 9000 340 help

Hi all, I've salveaged a fully working HP 9000 340 model with hard disk and floppy drive. It boots up and I get to the login screen. I don't have any usernames or passwords. Anyone know any hacks for the version of Unix it runs? Is there anyway I can reset the root password? Via Floppy? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbo007
0 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [ -e ] [ -p ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ TTY ] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init(8) when the system goes into single user mode. (This is done through an entry in inittab(5).) Init also tries to execute sulogin when the boot loader (e.g., grub(8)) passes it the -b option. The user is prompted Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): If the root account is locked, as is the default on Ubuntu, no password prompt is displayed and sulogin behaves as if the correct password were entered. sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/con- sole). If the -t option is used then the program only waits the given number of seconds for user input. If the -p option is used then the single-user shell is invoked with a dash as the first character in argv[0]. This causes the shell process to behave as a login shell. The default is not to do this, so that the shell will not read /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile at startup. After the user exits the single-user shell, or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will (continue to) boot to the default runlevel. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. This is very valuable together with the -b option to init. To boot the system into single user mode, with the root file system mounted read/write, using a special "fail safe" shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for the LILO bootprompt) boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash FALLBACK METHODS
sulogin checks the root password using the standard method (getpwnam) first. Then, if the -e option was specified, sulogin examines these files directly to find the root password: /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (if present) If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). 17 Jan 2006 SULOGIN(8)