Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [sos]How to resure my system. Post 19266 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 8th of April 2002 04:47:58 PM
Old 04-08-2002
easiest first and then progress to the next step.

Yes, I agree that it is the best policy to try all of the easy things first, like rebooting to single and running fsck. And checking the dameons.

That is my basic philosophy of troubleshooting. 1) Easiest, 2) least time consuming and 3) least expensive, in that order.

Then possibly restoring from tape or other backup media.

Lastly, a reinstall would be drastic, but sometimes necessary.

Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(SOS) Please help !

Does anybody can help me with the definition of "terminal" DTE and DCE in context to Unix ?. This has something to do with devices in Unix. I need it asap. Thank you very much !:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aqua_jan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sos Sos

INPUT---> USER | User1 | DisplayName1 | HomeTown1 | 987654321 | 27-07-1991 | M i want to separate out all the fields of the file which has the format specified above , with the use of awk. I was writing that to the mysql by batch-file. But now there is problem , in databse i have defined the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sos

Dear "expert", I need to know the command syntax to get the last field of the line below using shell or awk. MD5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lee Soon Yau
4 Replies

4. Solaris

sun connect :SOS

hi all, does someone have any information about "sun connect" (like documentation , web site , forums , explanations .....) ? because i will need this software in my job & i don't know how to use it :o (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SOS whit SED

Hello, I know how to get a solution of a filtering problem with AWK, but i need change default field separator by a regular expression. awk -F "xxx" What i want to do is take a stranza as a field, so the field separator must be a EMPTY line. Does anybody how to do that?? a example: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antuan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

file not found (SOS)

Hi, friends, I am new here and also new in Unix. I want your kindly help for now! I cannot run the program vmed on my computer ,that reply the error $ vmed bash: vmed: command not found $ ./vmed ld.so.1: vmed: fatal: libpgplot.so: open failed: No such file or directory Killed as I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wholesome80
12 Replies

7. HP-UX

sos about swpackage AND swinstall

hi all, I just want to make a depot package.All steps: 1. make a psf file # PSF which define the myutil product depot layout_version 1.0 tag ddmi_linux_installer title ddmi_linux_installer # Product definition vendor tag HP title Hewlett-Packard Company product tag... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lb1111830
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD