Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Executing a SQL query from a shell script Post 18061 by Jimbo on Friday 22nd of March 2002 06:56:29 PM
Old 03-22-2002
You want a script to run as root and launch a script in oracle? I think the cleanest way is two separate shell scripts. I tried an embedded su thru an endword (which I do a lot), but I could not capture the status code inside the su - pretty strange.

myroot.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec > myroot.out
su - oracle -c scott.sh
exit 0

scott.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sqlplus -s scott/tiger @ scott.sql
if test $? -ne 0 ; then
   echo 'sqlplus error'
   exit 1
else
   echo 'sqlplus OK'
   exit 0
fi

scott.sql:
Code:
whenever sqlerror exit failure
set termout off
spool scott.lst
select ename from emp;
exit

Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Sql Query Using Shell Script

HI ALL i have a requirement like this. i have to write a shell script to run a sql query. DB is oracle. once the query is run, the results of the query has to be published in a data file. can you please advice me how to go about it. i am absolutely new to shell scripts and this is a part of my job. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a SQL query in shell script

Hi ALL, I need an help in connecting to oracle database, executing a select query and printing it on the screen. Can any one please write a simple code or psuedo code and let me know. select query returns multiple values( say select name from emp) Thanks in advance LM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijju.mathew
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script executing sql query

Hello, I have a sh script excuting a sql query through sqlplus. I am having trouble making my date equal to the date of the server time in the sql script. How can i call the server date from my query? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingluke
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

query sql using shell script

query sql using shell script, is it possible? my friend told me to do a file.sql and link to my shell script, but can i query sql using shell script? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing SQL query using unix shell script

I want to perform few post-session success tasks like update a status to 'true' in one of the sql database table, update date values to current system date in one of the configuration table in sql. How do i achieve this in a post session command?syntax with example will be helpful. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathanvaithi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script from a PL / SQL Block

Hi, I need to call a shell script present on solaris server from within a PL / SQL block. Kindly suggest.. Thanks Sudhir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhird
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing SQL Query and sending a mail

Hi all, My reqirenet goes like this. Need to execute one select statement within the script and send a mail to the users with the number of records fecthed from the query. Please help.. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Achiever
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding executing sql query in shell script

Hi, I have one SQL file prepared in UNIX and one script that is executing that. In SQL i have Update and create queries. I want to introduce conditions in SQL file (in UNIX) that if either of the create or update query failes whole transaction should be rollback. I just have 1 create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhii
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sql query through shell script

hey , i am using this code to store value of a sql query and and then use it in other query but after some time , but it is not working. please help #!/bin/bash val_1=$( sqlplus -s rte/rted2@rel76d2 << EOF setting heading off select max(stat_id) from cvt_stats; exit EOF ) nohup... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Executing sql in Shell Script

Hello~ I have a requirement to write a shell script which will connect to the oracle database and run a select count(*) query on a table. The script should succeed only when the count returns a number greater than zero. If the count returns zero, the script should fail. Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naren.N
3 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX