Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: email when cron fails
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers email when cron fails Post 17440 by inpavan on Friday 15th of March 2002 04:24:53 AM
Old 03-15-2002
Question email when cron fails

I have a cronjob scheduled to run everyday. How can I obtain an email if and only if the cronjob fails?

I am using Sun Solaris (ksh).

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Created cron.allow file and now email fails

Getting ready for Sarbanes Oxley and I was told that I need to create a cron.allow file for the box so that only specified users can create cron jobs. That was easy enough, and I put in all the accounts that had scheduled cron jobs such as: root lp My oracle account A couple of programmer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: citrowske
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Email Problem

I have two different cron jobs that run on the same days. The jobs are 7 hours apart. Both jobs are set to send notification emails when they start running. Both jobs always run successfully, but I only receive an email from the first job. I never get the email from the second job. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script that sends an html formatted email fails when its run as cronjob

Hi Im very new at working with unix and this problem I simply can not understand. I know there are a lot of threads about problems with shell scripts behaving differently when run from a terminal and from a cronjob. I have tried everything(almost) but I still havent cracked this problem. Im... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nightowl
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job fails, but works fine from command line

I have a very basic script that essentially sends a log file, via FTP, to a backup server. My cron entry to run this every night is: 55 23 * * * /usr/bin/archive_logs The script runs perfectly when executed manually, and actually worked via cron for about three weeks. However, it mysteriously... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron entry fails.

Hello, I have added the following entry in my cron file: * * * * * . /home/texprd/.profile>/dev/null 2>&1; echo "test" >> /home/texprd/test.log 2>&1 The cron fails ie the added command fails to append "test" in the test.log file. However if I run the command manually from the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If FTP cron job fails to connect = quit

Im having a problem with my ftp CRON jobs. I have another related (but not the same question in shell scripting). My FTP CRON jobs connect to a server and drop some files off, if for some reason it cannot connect to the server (timesout/password wrong etc) instead of stopping, it tries again... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron job fails every now and then.

I added a shell script to cron that executes every 5-15 minutes. It's used to monitor multiple environments, so it has to ssh to each machine to check the status of that machine. Sometimes, I may have more than one instance of this script running at the same time. So, here's my problem. I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Email program using CRON

Hi Guys... I have a bulk email program that sends out an email to a subscribed mail list. The list contains around 2000 addresses. My server is Centos 5 64bit PHP 5.2 Mysql 5.1 The program is set to send emails in batches of 100. Cron is set to run every minute Now for the problem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: countrydj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job fails with [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Connection not open error

Hi, When run the script directly...it executes as expected. But when put it in crontab the job fails with this error: Connection not open 08003: Connection not open Unable to connect to the database... how come it is not able to connect when cron job fires?... Do I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthakki
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script fails to send out email when HOSTNAME is included

Hi, Below is my script which sends out emails. more test.sh 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 { 3 print "From: Prod@mycomp.com" 4 # print "From: Prod@`hostname`.com" 5 # print "From: Prod@${HOSTNAME}.com" 6 print "To: me@mycomp.com" 7 print "Subject:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)