Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: apropos
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers apropos Post 17088 by informshilpa on Monday 11th of March 2002 06:28:52 AM
Old 03-11-2002
apropos

Please give me an alternate command for apropos on HP.
Thanks in advance
shilpa

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

apropos not working

How come my 'apropos' cmd doesn't work in Solaris but works in Linux? How can I get it to work? Are the files in the 'companion' cd? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with apropos

I believe my apropos command is corrupt. Every time i invoke it the following happens... please see attached png file. Is there a way for me to reinstall or rebuild the apropos command? However, when I log on as a different user everything seems ok I am currently running Free BSD (OS X) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grkness
3 Replies
APROPOS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos, whatis -- keyword search whatis documentation databases SYNOPSIS
apropos [-d] keyword ... whatis [-d] keyword ... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility searches a set of databases looking for documentation matching each keyword and displays the results. The whatis utility does the same search but only on complete words. -d Print extra debugging information. The keyword is simply passed to grep(1) allowing for extended regular expression matches. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of apropos: MANLOCALES, MANPATH, PATH Used to find the location of the whatis database files. See manpath(1) for additional information. PAGER Program used to display files. If unset, more -s is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The apropos utility exits 0 if a keyword matched and 1 if no keywords are matched or no whatis databases are found. SEE ALSO
grep(1), makewhatis(1), man(1), manpath(1), man.conf(5) BSD
September 1, 2010 BSD