Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: biff
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers biff Post 16709 by killerserv on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 04:58:14 AM
Old 03-06-2002
you are saying that you dont have biff installed in your system. Ok. but you did mentioned that how to configure in your system, (after you setup biff) to make biff on and available, add this to your .login file: biff y
to make it invisible and not active, use this command instead: biff n hope this helps.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Biff service not defined in /etc/services

Hello all. I am getting this error on my mail log file at /app/syslog in AIX. Sep 23 07:12:06 teamaix mail:info bellmail: biff service is not defined in /etc/services Here is what I have for the settings: teamaix(root): / -> biff is y teamaix(root): / -> mesg is y teamaix(root): / ->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Biff service not defined in /etc/services

Hello all. I am getting this error on my mail log file at /app/syslog in AIX. Sep 23 07:12:06 teamaix mail:info bellmail: biff service is not defined in /etc/services ========================================================= Here is what I have for the settings: teamaix(root): / -> biff... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
0 Replies
COMSAT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 COMSAT(8)

NAME
comsat - biff server SYNOPSIS
/usr/libexec/comsat DESCRIPTION
Comsat is the server process which receives reports of incoming mail and notifies users if they have requested this service. Comsat receives messages on a datagram port associated with the ``biff'' service specification (see services(5) and inetd(8)). The one line mes- sages are of the form user@mailbox-offset If the user specified is logged in to the system and the associated terminal has the owner execute bit turned on (by a ``biff y''), the offset is used as a seek offset into the appropriate mailbox file and the first 7 lines or 560 characters of the message are printed on the user's terminal. Lines which appear to be part of the message header other than the ``From'', ``To'', ``Date'', or ``Subject'' lines are not included in the displayed message. FILES
/var/run/utmp to find out who's logged on and on what terminals SEE ALSO
biff(1), inetd(8) BUGS
The message header filtering is prone to error. The density of the information presented is near the theoretical minimum. Users should be notified of mail which arrives on other machines than the one to which they are currently logged in. The notification should appear in a separate window so it does not mess up the screen. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 16, 1996 COMSAT(8)