Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variable manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable manipulation Post 16263 by blt123 on Wednesday 27th of February 2002 12:09:15 PM
Old 02-27-2002
MySQL variable manipulation

Coded in my script:
#!/bin/ksh

I have a variable in the format of YYYYMMDD: $latest_bus_date_yyyymmdd
I need to create a new variable in the format of MMDDYYYY: $latest_bus_date_mmddyyyy
I want to take the information from $latest_bus_date_yyyymmdd and reformat it to be stored in the new variable.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by blt123; 03-04-2002 at 02:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manipulation

hi, i have got a table with n number of rows and 2 columns..how can i get get 1 row at a time using any unix command without copying to any file? Thanks and Regards vivek.s (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Manipulation

I need to achieve the following.....I seached the forum but could not find it... This is I have in a file... "CH","TIA","10/27/2006",000590 I need the date in the third field to be attached to fileas 20061027_test.txt How do I do it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with string manipulation

First of all I am VERY new to this so bare with me and try and explain everything even if it seems simple. Basically I want to read a line of text from a html file. See if the line of text has a certain string in it. copy an unknown number of characters (the last 4 characters wiil be ".jpg" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c3lica
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable manipulation

In a bash script I've set a variable that is the directory name of where an executable lives. the_dir=`dirname $which myscript` which equates to something like "/path/to/dir/bin" I need to cut that down to remove the "bin" so I now have "/path/to/dir/". This sounds easy but as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Witty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data Manipulation

Hello I am currently having problems in mapulating a certain file which contains vaious data. Belos is a sample content Event=<3190> Client IP=<151.111.11.143> DNS=<abc.sbc.com> TransCount=<139> Client IP=<150.222.133.163> DNS=<xyz.yuu.com> TransCount=<3734> Event=<3120> Client... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File manipulation

Hi, I want to update the file with a value at a particular position $cat test.txt COL1=TEST COL2= COL3=AADSDFSDFDSFDFDF I want to update the file with a value for COL2. After update, the file should be like this $cat test.txt COL1=TEST COL2=1 COL3=AADSDFSDFDSFDFDF here 1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable string manipulation

Hi, I have a variable with grep output like this: WORDS=$(grep -r -c -i -E "palindrom" /"$DIRECTORY"/) so "echo "$WORDS"" could be: //directory/file1.txt:0 //directory/file2.txt:0 //directory/file3.txt:3 //directory/file4.txt:1 //directory/file5.txt:0 I need to "sed" my variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hornys
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com I'm having trouble with a text file. It looks like this: Alvaro Costa Daldit Kaur Sings Brian G Heward Desmond Ogilvie John Der William Gherasim Lance Mackey Donald Kopplin Robert Mckinlay Jahir Hussain Mohamed Jack Benaim Abraham Weiss I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable

Hi. I'd like to remove all values in a string variable that also exist in a second variable. What is the appropriate approach to take here? I can use a 'For' loop and check each element and then populate a new string. But is there a cleaner, simpler way? E.g. I have the following 2 variables ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
19 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)