Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: repartitioning
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers repartitioning Post 14997 by thehoghunter on Friday 8th of February 2002 01:12:56 PM
Old 02-08-2002
"had not given /usr it's own partition" This is always a matter of choice. /usr does not have to be it's own partition. Putting /usr on a second disk may be more confusing than leaving it where it is. If you were moving /var to a different disk, not as bad but to move /usr requires you boot up off of a cdrom into single user.

"The www files are all under /usr" Are they under /usr in their own directory? If so, that is what you should move to it's own partition (leaving /usr where it is). If they are in /usr/www/, then boot into single user and tar the /usr/www/* and put it on the second disk. Then create a link from /usr/www to the new directory on the second disk (/www). This is also better for security reasons not to have the web pages (and cgi-scripts) loaded on /usr. You probably don't have to change the Apach config files at all for this (although that is also easy enough)
thehoghunter

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Repartitioning scsi drive in Nextstep

Need to change the partitions on a SCSI drive with Nextstep. df shows filesystem kbytes used avail cap mounted on /dev/sd0a 2051824 231924 13% / /dev/sd0b 998332 9 0% /Vol2 /dev/sd0c 998332 9 0% /Vol3 /dev/sd0d 998332 9 0% /Vol4 /dev/sd0e 998332 9 0% /Vol5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mace
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Repartitioning hard drive on Solaris10

Hello, Is it possible to repartition hard drive on Solaris10 without deleting all the content of the drive? I have a workstation with 40G drive that has two partitions 4G and 36G. The big partition is allocated for /export/home and small for everything else (don't ask me why, I did not set it up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pn8830
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resizing and repartitioning NTFS with gParted?

Sorry that this is slightly OT, but in my defence, I intend to install Linux (and probably others). I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled; and though there is no love between me and MS, I would like to keep it (I paid for it after all). I have 2 x 500GB HDD. The extra... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koppe
1 Replies

4. Solaris

formating and repartitioning an external hard drives

Version: solaris 10 x86 I just got a western digital external harddrive formated with fat 32. this drive came with some setup files which is meant for windows or mac. I want to reformat and partition this drive into two ( for solaris and windows) such that the setup files will still be there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Metaset repartitioning

Dear all, This metaset stuff drive me crazy. The story begin with the Solaris 8 upgrade.... We have a pair of Solaris 8 with Sun Cluster 3.1, to prevent a long downtime, the Live Upgrade was chosen. As metadb cannot use LU to upgrade directly, we remove the diskset before upgrade, and put it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donaldfoo
0 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu very slow after repartitioning

Good evening, i don't know if this is the right section, so forgive me if it's wrong. i have an Asus Gl503v in dual boot w10-ubuntu18. hard disk is hybrid ssd-hhd. w10 is the native system and it is on ssd. I partitioned the hdd left a part ntfs and a part ext4. In the ext4 part i created... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcov
15 Replies
CCD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    CCD(4)

NAME
ccd -- Concatenated disk driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device ccd [count] DESCRIPTION
The ccd driver provides the capability of combining one or more disks/partitions into one virtual disk. This document assumes that you're familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and pseudo-devices in a kernel con- figuration file, and how to partition disks. Note that the 'raw' partitions of the disks must not be combined. Each component partition should be offset at least one cylinder from the beginning of the component disk. This avoids potential conflicts between the component disk's disklabel and the ccd's disklabel. The kernel will only allow component partitions of type FS_CCD. But for now, it allows partition of all types since some port lacks support of an on- disk BSD disklabel. The partition of FS_UNUSED may be rejected because device driver of component disk will refuse it. In order to compile in support for the ccd, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: pseudo-device ccd 4 # concatenated disk devices The count argument is how many ccds memory is allocated for at boot time. In this example, no more than 4 ccds may be configured. A ccd may be either serially concatenated or interleaved. To serially concatenate the partitions, specify the interleave factor of 0. If a ccd is interleaved correctly, a ``striping'' effect is achieved, which can increase performance. Since the interleave factor is expressed in units of DEV_BSIZE, one must account for sector sizes other than DEV_BSIZE in order to calculate the correct interleave. The kernel will not allow an interleave factor less than the size of the largest component sector divided by DEV_BSIZE. Note that best performance is achieved if all component disks have the same geometry and size. Optimum striping cannot occur with different disk types. Also note that the total size of concatenated disk may vary depending on the interleave factor even if the exact same components are concate- nated. And an old on-disk disklabel may be read after interleave factor change. As a result, the disklabel may contain wrong partition geometry and will cause an error when doing I/O near the end of concatenated disk. There is a run-time utility that is used for configuring ccds. See ccdconfig(8) for more information. WARNINGS
If just one (or more) of the disks in a non-mirrored ccd fails, the entire file system will be lost. FILES
/dev/{,r}ccd* ccd device special files. SEE ALSO
config(1), MAKEDEV(8), ccdconfig(8), fsck(8), mount(8), newfs(8) HISTORY
The concatenated disk driver was originally written at the University of Utah. BSD
March 5, 2004 BSD