Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: moving files to tape drive
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory moving files to tape drive Post 14888 by knarayan on Thursday 7th of February 2002 01:17:46 PM
Old 02-07-2002
moving files to tape drive

What is the unix command to move files/backups from the Os to tape.

Thanx in advance,
Kavita

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem restoring files from remote tape drive

Server 1 - Sun Solaris 5.8 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R with attached DLT tape drive /dev/rmt/0n Server 2 - Old DG-UX box which has restore command on it compatible with the files on the backyup tape - backed up with dump2 Server 3 - Sun solaris 5.9 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490 with lots of free space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindab
4 Replies

2. BSD

How to reach files from tape drive using dd

Hi all! I have problem with copying files from tape drive. The contents of tape: silverman# tcopy /dev/sa1 file 0: block size 10240: 21 records file 0: eof after 21 records: 215040 bytes file 1: block size 10240: 20712 records file 1: eof after 20712 records: 212090880 bytes file 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3m00n
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send files to remote tape drive

We have 2 UNIX machines, 1.HP-UX 11i where oracle database running on it. 2.AIX 5 with Ultrium LTO3 tape drive connected. My query is, i want to send oracle database archive files from HP machine to the tape drive which connected on AIX machine, everyday. These files should be appended. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashdbad
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Appending files to a tape drive

I've starting playing with a tape drive for the first time. Its a new one, an IBM Ultrium LTO 4. After initially copying a file to the tape with tar cvf /dev/st0 /root/dummy, all subsequent files appended take an increasing amount of time with tar rvf /dev/st0 /root/dummyX. Is it normal for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

5. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Backup files to tape drive on solaris

Hi, I want to take backup of files older than 20 days from a directory onto a tape drive on remote machine on Solaris. The files are of format abc-20100301000000.gz on my local machine. I know the below commands for searching files older than x days and command for backup procedure. solar1 #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
RESTOR(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RESTOR(8)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restarting ). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(8) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the file system was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus mkfs /dev/hp0a 4807 restor r /dev/hp0a is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
/dev/rmt1 default file name rst* temporary files SEE ALSO
dump(8), dumpdir(8), mkfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a newline when the next tape has been mounted. Dump tapes made before the new ondisc directory structure will be converted automatically by restor . BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor does't use it. 3rd Berkeley Distribution RESTOR(8)