Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shutdown Privilege
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shutdown Privilege Post 14538 by thehoghunter on Friday 1st of February 2002 01:03:30 PM
Old 02-01-2002
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown Privilege

Dear all, An ordinary user can shutdown the UNIX MACHINE ? SCO UNIXWARE 7.0. what has to be done to privilage for an ordinary user to SHUTDOWN the PC?? i would be thankful if i will get a solution. with regards, konda. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write privilege for user

Is it possible to grant write privileges to a user on a directory with out having to add the user to a group or make the user the owner of the directory? My background is in Windows and in Windows you can grant specific privileges to a user without having to put the user in a group or making the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
3 Replies

3. Solaris

root privilege

Hello All, I need your help to know how i can give regular user ALL root privileges. If there is any way pleas help me :) Regards, Ahmad (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad_one
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Root privilege for user

Can anyone please tell how to give root privilege to a normal user in solaris 10? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicktrix
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what does the x privilege mean?

what does x(in rwx) privilege mean? just text files or shell script files? that's so confusing. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kang
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. AIX

User Privilege

How to assign superuser privilege to an ordinary user temporarily (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user with different privilege

Hi , I want to create 3 different user with below privilege in Solaris and Linux. 1) Read Only 2)Read and Write Only 3) Admin user Can you guys help me on this . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen Pathak
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Privilege ids list

I would like to capture the list of all users that belong to the "system" group. Or in other words all those who have privilege access on the system. Can someone please help me with a shell script/sed/awk code to obtain this please. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Block any root Privilege

Hey is there any method (base on kernel) to block adding any root Privilege? only "root" account allow on system and no one can add new root Privilege, ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
4 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - graciously close the system down SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-hrRmk] [-x code] [time-specification [message]] DESCRIPTION
Shutdown is a program which allows a system operator to close down the system in an nice way. Shutdown informs the users why and when the system is going down. This warning is issued 10 minutes before shutdown time and every minute in the last 5 minutes. At this time (5 min- utes), shutdown creates a file /etc/nologin to prevent new users from logging in. Shutdown keeps a logfile of shutdowns. Every shutdown is registered in /usr/adm/wtmp, if this file exists. After these actions, a call is done to reboot(2) which actually brings the system down. Time-specification may be something like 15:00, 15.00, +15, or now for a shutdown at 3pm (twice), 15 minutes from now, or immediately. The message may be used to describe why the system is going down, it may also be typed on standard input with the -m option. OPTIONS
-h This flag prevents the system from rebooting after the shutdown. The system can now be powered off. This is the default. -r This flag indicates that the system should reboot after shutting down. -R Reboot the system by resetting it. Normally the kernel will try to return to the Boot Monitor. With -R the system will receive a hardware reset. -x code Halt the system and let the Monitor execute the given code as if typed at the monitor prompt. You can for instance use -x 'boot hd0' as a very fast way to reboot "from the top." -m Allows the operator to type a shutdown message on standard input, that will be added to the messages displayed on all terminals. -k This option gives the possibility of terminating an already started shutdown. This is only possible if shutdown time has not yet arrived. -C Check if the system crashed. This option is not used at shutdown time, but at reboot time. It tells if the file systems should be checked by testing if the last entry in the wtmp file is a shutdown entry. (A crude replacement for a file system clean flag.) FILES
/usr/adm/wtmp, /etc/nologin, /usr/adm/authlog SEE ALSO
reboot(2), wall(1), halt(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Edvard Tuinder (v892231@si.hhs.NL) SHUTDOWN(8)