Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editor Wars!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Editor Wars! Post 14404 by Neo on Thursday 31st of January 2002 10:59:33 AM
Old 01-31-2002
I use:
  • VI for all my UNIX text file editing. VI is extremely fast and the search and replace functions are incredible!
  • MS Word for shared business documents because that is how my clients do business.

I think the secret to happiness is not to be dogmatic about IT tools but to use the appropriate and best tool based on the job, right?

However, the learning curve for VI is high and many people will not take the time to reap the benefits of VI....... I'm lucky to be a VI user for over 16 years! I've been using MS WORD for less than have of that. I did find that migrating from VI/LaTeX to MS WORD/Acrobat for professional publications was a good move for me. I will not go back to LaTeX because I don't use lots of complex math equations. If you do very complex symbols and formatting, LaTeX is the way to go, really!!

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies
LATEX(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LATEX(1)

NAME
latex, elatex, lambda, pdflatex - structured text formatting and typesetting SYNOPSIS
latex [first-line] DESCRIPTION
This manual page is not meant to be exhaustive. The complete documentation for this version of TeX can be found in the info file or manual Web2C: A TeX implementation. The LaTeX language is described in the book LaTeX - A Document Preparation System. LaTeX is a TeX macro package, not a modification to the TeX source program, so all the capabilities described in tex(1) are present. The LaTeX macros encourage writers to think about the content of their documents, rather than the form. The ideal, very difficult to real- ize, is to have no formatting commands (like ``switch to italic'' or ``skip 2 picas'') in the document at all; instead, everything is done by specific markup instructions: ``emphasize'', ``start a section''. The primary source of documentation for LaTeX is the LaTeX manual referenced below, and the local guide in the file local-guide.tex or local.tex or some such. elatex is the e-TeX extended mode version of LaTeX format. lambda is the Omega version of the LaTeX format. pdflatex is the pdfTeX version of the LaTeX format. On some systems latex209 and slitex are available for compatibility with older versions of LaTeX. These should not be used for new texts. SEE ALSO
amslatex(1), amstex(1), pdflatex(1), pdftex(1), tex(1). Leslie Lamport, LaTeX - A Document Preparation System, Addison-Wesley, 1985, ISBN 020115790X. Frank Mittelbach, Michel Goossens, Johannes Braams, David Carlisle, and Chris Rowley, LaTeX Companion, Addison-Wesley, 2004, ISBN 0201362996 (2nd edition). LaTeX Graphics Companion, available as part of a boxed set: The LaTeX Companions, Revised Boxed Set : A Complete Guide and Reference for Preparing, Illustrating, and Publishing Technical Documents (2nd Edition), by Frank Mittelbach, Michel Goossens, Sebastian Rahtz, Helmut Kopka, Patrick W. Daly (Addison-Wesley, 2004, ISBN 0321269446). Web2C 2012 14 May 2010 LATEX(1)