Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to programm TTY devices under UNIX platform? Post 12226 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of December 2001 10:57:43 AM
Old 12-21-2001
There is the old unix way to do this and the new posix way. I wrote a program to put the tty into raw mode using both methods so I could compare them. You should probably understand both techniques since there is a lot of old code out there. But I think the posix revision is a win, so I would suggest going the posix route with new code. I would add the following man pages to your list:

tcattribute(3c)
cfspeed(3C)
tccontrol(3C)

You should use the routines in cfspeed(3C) to change the baud rate.

Here is the sample program that I wrote:
Code:
/*   #define OLD_TERMIO  */

#ifdef __STDC__
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifdef OLD_TERMIO
#include <termio.h>
#else
#include <termios.h>
#endif

#ifdef PROTOTYPICAL
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
#else
main(argc,argv)
char *argv[];
#endif

{
#ifdef OLD_TERMIO
        struct termio orig,now;
#else
        struct termios orig,now;
#endif
        int c, i, rc, done;
        setvbuf(stdout, NULL, _IONBF ,0);

#ifdef OLD_TERMIO
        ioctl(0, TCGETA, (char *) &orig);
#else
        tcgetattr(0, &orig);
#endif
        now=orig;
        now.c_lflag &= ~(ISIG|ICANON|ECHO);
        now.c_cc[VMIN]=1;
        now.c_cc[VTIME]=2;
#ifdef OLD_TERMIO
        ioctl(0,TCSETA, (char *) &now);
#else
        tcsetattr(0, TCSANOW, &now);
#endif
        done=0;
        while(!done) {
                printf("hit a key: ");
                c=getchar();
                printf(" got a  %03X \n", c);
                done = c=='q';
        }
#ifdef OLD_TERMIO
        ioctl(0,TCSETA, (char *) &orig);
#else
        tcsetattr(0, TCSANOW, &orig);
#endif
        exit(0);
}

Last edited by Perderabo; 01-16-2005 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: remove html which is no longer supported

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

3. Programming

how do i run am encrpyrtic programm on unix

how do i run am encrpyrtic programm on unix, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghoz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to embeded programm within programm

Hi, How to embeded programme within perl programme. Shankarao (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarao
2 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I remotely take unix/linux tty control!?

Hello everyone!. I am wondering if it is possible to take control of a tty session???!!!. For example: imagine you are running a command in a unix server that will take 12 hours to compleate... now, imagine you are at your home and you want to check how the command is performing or if errors... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are pseudo-tty devices? Is my /etc/securetty file contains any?

Hi , I have searched wiki for pseudo tty devices but it was very complex for me to understand. Can any one help me understanding concept behind pseudo-tty in layman language? According to security manual of our org /etc/securetty files shouldn't have any pseudo tty devices. i understand ttyX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell programm(need urgent Help)

Hi guys, i am new to shell can u please explain how to get those two outputs in temp1 i have i/p like abcd edk lkg jkl loop i need o/p abcd ********* edk********** lkg *********** jkl *********** loop************ need o/p abcd *************** (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokkrishna063
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request to checkVenn diagram issue solve by Unix programm

Hello Any Unix programm can help me to solve thsi issue: I have 2 venn digrams please checke the attached file for pictures of venn diagram for eg red is A yellow is B and green is C..Please see attached file for Venn diagrams In one ..... I have 3 data set A , B and C Venn diagram... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
GETGRENT(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       GETGRENT(3)

NAME
getgrent, getgrgid, getgrnam, setgrent, endgrent - get group file entry SYNOPSIS
#include <grp.h> struct group *getgrent() struct group *getgrgid(gid) int gid; struct group *getgrnam(name) char *name; setgrent() endgrent() DESCRIPTION
Getgrent, getgrgid and getgrnam each return pointers to an object with the following structure containing the broken-out fields of a line in the group file. /* Copyright (C) 1991-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This file is part of the GNU C Library. The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with the GNU C Library; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. */ /* * POSIX Standard: 9.2.1 Group Database Access <grp.h> */ #ifndef _GRP_H #define _GRP_H 1 #include <features.h> __BEGIN_DECLS #include <bits/types.h> #define __need_size_t #include <stddef.h> /* For the Single Unix specification we must define this type here. */ #if (defined __USE_XOPEN || defined __USE_XOPEN2K) && !defined __gid_t_defined typedef __gid_t gid_t; # define __gid_t_defined #endif /* The group structure. */ struct group { char *gr_name; /* Group name. */ char *gr_passwd; /* Password. */ __gid_t gr_gid; /* Group ID. */ char **gr_mem; /* Member list. */ }; #ifdef __USE_MISC # include <bits/types/FILE.h> #endif #if defined __USE_MISC || defined __USE_XOPEN_EXTENDED /* Rewind the group-file stream. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern void setgrent (void); /* Close the group-file stream. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern void endgrent (void); /* Read an entry from the group-file stream, opening it if necessary. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrent (void); #endif #ifdef __USE_MISC /* Read a group entry from STREAM. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *fgetgrent (FILE *__stream); #endif #ifdef __USE_GNU /* Write the given entry onto the given stream. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int putgrent (const struct group *__restrict __p, FILE *__restrict __f); #endif /* Search for an entry with a matching group ID. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrgid (__gid_t __gid); /* Search for an entry with a matching group name. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrnam (const char *__name); #ifdef __USE_POSIX # ifdef __USE_MISC /* Reasonable value for the buffer sized used in the reentrant functions below. But better use `sysconf'. */ # define NSS_BUFLEN_GROUP 1024 # endif /* Reentrant versions of some of the functions above. PLEASE NOTE: the `getgrent_r' function is not (yet) standardized. The interface may change in later versions of this library. But the interface is designed following the principals used for the other reentrant functions so the chances are good this is what the POSIX people would choose. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ # ifdef __USE_GNU extern int getgrent_r (struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # endif /* Search for an entry with a matching group ID. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrgid_r (__gid_t __gid, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); /* Search for an entry with a matching group name. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrnam_r (const char *__restrict __name, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # ifdef __USE_MISC /* Read a group entry from STREAM. This function is not standardized an probably never will. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int fgetgrent_r (FILE *__restrict __stream, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # endif #endif /* POSIX or reentrant */ #ifdef __USE_MISC # define __need_size_t # include <stddef.h> /* Set the group set for the current user to GROUPS (N of them). */ extern int setgroups (size_t __n, const __gid_t *__groups) __THROW; /* Store at most *NGROUPS members of the group set for USER into *GROUPS. Also include GROUP. The actual number of groups found is returned in *NGROUPS. Return -1 if the if *NGROUPS is too small. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrouplist (const char *__user, __gid_t __group, __gid_t *__groups, int *__ngroups); /* Initialize the group set for the current user by reading the group database and using all groups of which USER is a member. Also include GROUP. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int initgroups (const char *__user, __gid_t __group); #endif /* Use misc. */ __END_DECLS #endif /* grp.h */ The members of this structure are: gr_name The name of the group. gr_passwd The encrypted password of the group. gr_gid The numerical group-ID. gr_mem Null-terminated vector of pointers to the individual member names. Getgrent simply reads the next line while getgrgid and getgrnam search until a matching gid or name is found (or until EOF is encountered). Each routine picks up where the others leave off so successive calls may be used to search the entire file. A call to setgrent has the effect of rewinding the group file to allow repeated searches. Endgrent may be called to close the group file when processing is complete. FILES
/etc/group SEE ALSO
getlogin(3), getpwent(3), group(5) DIAGNOSTICS
A null pointer (0) is returned on EOF or error. BUGS
All information is contained in a static area so it must be copied if it is to be saved. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 GETGRENT(3)